Spray-On Sound Insulation/Finished Surface? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
Registered Member

Spray-On Sound Insulation/Finished Surface?

Can anyone here recommend a spray-on sound insulation that can be used as the exposed layer on the entire interior of a car?

I'm interested in gutting out the interior of a Metro or Swift to lighten the weight of the car, but I still want to have some sound insulation and somewhat of a finish on the interior (for the significant other's sake at least).

Thanks for the help

Wayneburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
Registered Member

No personal suggestion myself but have a look at the website for 3M or a similar large company for some suggestions.

If you really want exotic lightweight and quality materials try an aircraft wrecking and parts yard.
They often have large sheets from aircraft at almost virtually give away prices.
The trim / insulating panel is often damaged when mechanics need to get to the stuff behind but the undamaged portions are still large enough for cars.

Pete.

GasSavers_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 PM   #3
Registered Member

One other thought is try a marine and boat supplies place.
Boaties often have a need for small volumes that are about car size and the quality is usually pretty good but watch the prices.

Pete.
GasSavers_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:59 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
You could use truck bed liner but it might weigh more then the plastic you remove, but it is going to give you more space, be durable and absorb a bit of vibration.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:07 AM   #5
Registered Member

There's that pink expanded foam insulation stuff... would probably mount well with 3M heavy duty spray adhesive, will look like crackle finish vinyl with a coat of paint.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:10 AM   #6

I know a lot of the Jeep guys use Hurculiner on their interiors. My wife's Liberty will be done this summer.

Here's a couple Liberties that are already done so you can see what it looks like.
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/...ght=herculined
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/...ght=herculined
ihatemybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Hateful
How much of a weight reduction does this get?
Hateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
Registered Member

I like that spray on foam insulation you get at the hardware stores. You can spray it in the corners or over areas where the metal vibrates and reduce the sound considerably. Use just a little at first to see if you like it's final appearance.
rgathright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:10 PM   #9
Registered Member

The only problem i can see with this is, most cars start with tar mats melted/adhered to the floor to start with, the carpet and fluffy backing really doesn't weigh very much at all. Removal of the tar mats is the most time consuming part, and messy. It does contain between 15-20 lbs for the average econo-car. I think carpet with floor mats weighs roughly 20 lbs as well, but if you do as the jeep owner did, and replace the flooring with bedliner and mats, your net loss will only be about 15-20 lbs, for a LOT of work, a louder car, and a bit of money. But, don't let me stop you!
Old 05-15-2008, 04:50 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The bedliner stuff is pretty heavy too, I think.