Stripped Oil Pan Bolt - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-19-2007, 05:48 PM   #21
Registered Member

Sounds like you need a bigger pair of vise-grips. If it's just the head of the drain plug thats stripped, get it out and replace it. The key with vise grips is getting it on so tight that it takes all your strength to get them to lock down. And make sure you have them on the right direction... yes... there is a direction.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:06 AM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunger View Post
Sounds like you need a bigger pair of vise-grips. If it's just the head of the drain plug thats stripped, get it out and replace it. The key with vise grips is getting it on so tight that it takes all your strength to get them to lock down. And make sure you have them on the right direction... yes... there is a direction.
This reminds me... there have been times when I've not been able to get a bolt to break loose until I try tightening it even further, almost like there is a friction lock between the bolt and whatever the bolt is in. Crank it clockwise carefully, with increasing force until it just feels like it might be trying to move, then yank back on it counterclockwise and sometimes the bolt will break loose.

Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:50 PM   #23
Registered Member

Dave1215: If Jiffy Lube won't do it and your feeling stuck, bring it up to Ventura and I'll get it out. Their are a couple of things you can do, if you have the tool's.

First choice, if you have a larger Pipe wrench, you might be able to get a grip on the bolt head with that. You can use a piece of pipe, like 2-3ft, as a leverage tool, if you need to. Make sure you are turning the bolt, to back it out, lefty loosey, so you don't just make the issue worse.

Second choice: get a coarse file and a 6 sided wrench, in the next size down, probably a 14mm. File the sides of the head to allow the 6 headed wrench to fit on with as little play as possible. Again, possibly use the pipe extender to give you the leverage.

Third choice: Use a cutoff tool to put a slot into the head and use a large screwdriver to turn the bolt.

Fourth choice: Use the cutoff tool to cut a slot into the bolt and then cut the whole head off, using the cutoff tool.

Fifth choice: take a larger nut and weld it to the bolt head, using a arc welder. Then use a bigger wrench to get the bolt out.

Sixth choice: Remove the pan and replace it.

If you decide to bring it to Ventura, let me know.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:51 PM   #24
*shrug*

Sorry on the late get-back, but as it turns out, I guess I sold my spare oil pan to someone way back when I don't even remember.

Sorry man!
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #25
Registered Member

I sent a PM to you, but I haven't heard from you. I'll try sending one more.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote