The CRX is in - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-31-2006, 01:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to hoffmann277
The CRX is in

Just got her in today after a second 2 1/2 hour drive to pick her up. Total driving time: 10 1/2 hours. Extra half hour cause I got lost coming home the first time. What a pain. I was unable to pick it up the first time because I had brought a dolly, and of the course of the time the car had been sitting, aprox. 2 months, both the passenger side wheels were locked/frozen. The guy fixed the problem, he worked at a Kia dealership, and I made a second journey up and that ends the story of the tedious trip to get my CRX.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3176.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	39   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3194.JPG
Views:	267
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	40  

Old 10-31-2006, 02:17 PM   #2
Registered Member

Nice. Have you decided if you're doing the VX engine swap, or sticking with the HF motor?

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
Supporting Member

that's a lot of drivin, but a nice car you got there!
budomove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:02 PM   #4
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Nice. Have you decided if you're doing the VX engine swap, or sticking with the HF motor?
THe more I think about it, I do believe that a rebuilt HF engine would be very easy and could provide nearly the same results as a VX motor...

and it'll be super easy and cheap to do (relative to the VX swap). If I had a CRX HF, that is exactly what I'd do.

Then again, this isn't about me... it's about hoffmann277. Whichever route your take, there are more than enough of us to help guide you through it.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
Registered Member

What motor is in the car now? Usually an aftermarket exhaust indicates a modification to the engine. Possibly an engine swap.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:57 AM   #6
Registered Member

Original motor I believe. I'll take picks of the engine bay in the morning. Brand new full exhaust, new headers, and a cold air intake appear to be the only mechanical "upgrades." It also has fiberglass(I believe) driver's and passenger's side front wheel wells. Wonder how much weight is saved there. Pics of those too in the morning.

Oh, and I'll be sticking with the HF engine for now, that is of course assuming that I fine the block in good condition when I tear it apart.

I'll just be replacing the head gasket. I talked to a Honda mechanic today in his opinion he'd replace the piston rings and the rod bearings while having the engine torn apart like this and with the mileage this car has (210K something.) I'll test the compression hopefully tomorrow and see where it goes from there.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:32 AM   #7
Registered Member

Great find! It looks to be in pretty good shape too. I'm sure with a little TLC it will be a great gas saver.

About the rebuild: don't pull the slugs out unless you really need to. No need to replace the rings and bearings unless it really needs it. I see too many people spend lots of money on rebuilding engines that don't really need it. I'm a fan of just driving it until it REALLY needs it. lol
LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:33 AM   #8
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
What motor is in the car now? Usually an aftermarket exhaust indicates a modification to the engine. Possibly an engine swap.
uh, are you serious? An aftermarket exhaust usually indicates an aftermarket exhaust.

I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the junkyard looking at these old cars with aftermarket exhausts, shaved door handles, custom paint, custom interior, etc., only to find the stock engine in there.

That exhaust is more about looking tough than actually being tough.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #9
Registered Member

Well I will be sticking with the HF motor if it runs fine after the gasket change then. Do you really think though that it could match the VX's engine Matt? I commute 30 miles to work, I would have thought the lean burn for my sort of traveling would give the VX engine the edge. At the moment though, no matter what I'll be sticking with the HF motor if it runs fine after the gasket change for the funds are low at the moment.

Thanks for the advice Standard, I decided not too also because I don't know what other problems it might have. Maybe if I feel like being nice if she runs alright.

The pics though, here we go. You may oogle now, ordered the service manuals, you may gawk then.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1991 CRX HF - Under The Hood - 300 Pixels Short Side.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	41   Click image for larger version

Name:	1991 CRX HF - Headers.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	42   Click image for larger version

Name:	1991 CRX HF - Front Driver's Side Z3 Panel - Rear View.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	43   Click image for larger version

Name:	1991 CRX HF - Front Driver's.JPG
Views:	498
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	44   Click image for larger version

Name:	1991 CRX HF - Interior - Dash.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	45  

Old 11-01-2006, 10:31 AM   #10
Registered Member

That's a D15B6 throttle body all right, anemic and proud...And who's 280 is that in there as well? Any info on it? (I used to have 2 Z's ('72 240z/'81 280zx) til my first college tuition bill...then it became Honda CRX/Hatches...I'll eventually have both again) Nice find on the CRX, Mak

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote