The speedometer quit on Vino 125 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-15-2011, 05:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

The speedometer quit on Vino 125

Hi,

Having trouble finding information on speedometer problems with 2007 Yamaha Vino 125. It has 1500 miles on it.

I put lube in the top part of the cable, reconnected and unfastened the bottom part. It turns freely in one direction. If the cable is turned by hand there is no movement of the needle.

Would it be the cable or the gear box on the hub? Thank you very much. Bob

ba_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 05:25 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: The speedometer quit on Vino 125

try hooking it up to a drill and spinning it. you probably can't spin it fast enough by hand to see a needle movement. I would still go easy on the drill and see if there is a little movement before really nailing it.

just my 2 cents

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
try hooking it up to a drill and spinning it. you probably can't spin it fast enough by hand to see a needle movement. I would still go easy on the drill and see if there is a little movement before really nailing it.

just my 2 cents
The cable turns CC from bottom view but not to the right. Do you know if using the drill in forward is the right direction? Maybe that is why I couldn't get a reading since I couldn't turn it more than 2".
Old 05-15-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
Registered Member

my assumtion is that the cable has to sustain a certain speed or RPM to register on the gauge. I would think that you couldn't turn the cable (or fitting at the end of the cable) fast enough to really see a movement.

I would say to use a cordless drill (battery powered) and most of them have forward and reverse. I would say to match the direction with the direction that it moves freely. there is no point in intentionally breaking it. also, most hand held cordless drills will go slow if you press the trigger a little and will speed up as you increase pressure on the trigger.

if the cable is bound and can't be turned after a certain point, I would say you have a bad cable. I won't speculate farther than that since I am not there.

good luck, hope you get it fixed

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
Registered Member

I think it is a bad sign that the cable will only turn freely one way. Most vehicles will reverse the cable direction of rotation when the vehicle moves/is rolled backwards. The problem may be in the speedo head. Take the cable loose form the head and see it it will then turn freely in both directions. If not, then it is a cable problem (maybe the cable wires were breaking and fraying in the sheath).
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I think it is a bad sign that the cable will only turn freely one way. Most vehicles will reverse the cable direction of rotation when the vehicle moves/is rolled backwards. The problem may be in the speedo head. Take the cable loose form the head and see it it will then turn freely in both directions. If not, then it is a cable problem (maybe the cable wires were breaking and fraying in the sheath).
I disconnected both ends and the top turns one way but the bottom won't turn atl all without pliers. I pulled the top part out 1 or 2 inches and the bottom didn't move so maybe the cable is broke. Not sure what you mean't about the speedo head not working right. Would it have to be recalibrated? Bob
Old 05-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #7
Registered Member

If the cable was OK, I was thinking that the speedo head might be locked up internally, but it sounds like your problem is that your cable is broken and frayed inside the sheath.

Your speedometer is likely fine- just replace the cable.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
Registered Member

The cable should turn freely in both directions. You should be able to give that cable a whirl by hand that is enough to make the speedo needle noticeably move. Sounds like you have a bad cable. Pull it out of the housing and inspect it and more than likely, replace it.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
Registered Member

The cable end/broken end of the cable will pull out of the casing if you tug on it (and it's broken!). Instead of spinning it, grab it with pliers and give it a tug away from the casing. Then you can be assured it's the cable not the speedo. When you re-mount the new one, make sure that it's routed in the proper location and doesn't have to make any extreme bends. That may be part of the reason it broke in the first place, possibly.
Bikebandit.com sells aftermarket/oem cables for bikes pretty cheap. Aftermarket would be the least expensive option, me thinks.
B
benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:01 AM   #10
Registered Member

I got a new cable but I'm not quite sure how to replace it. Does the front shield come off by taking out the screws on the back? Thanks.