Thin motor oil, does it really save gas? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2009, 01:15 PM   #1

Thin motor oil, does it really save gas?

There's a lively discussion over on BobIsTheOilGuy about the benefits of 0W20 and similar 'fuel saving' oils. Has anyone here switched from a thicker oil (5/10W30/40) to a 'thin' (0/5W20) lube? Did you see a significant change in FE? Do you happen to have fuel log data? (Not a matter of trust, I'd just like to see the numbers! )

Thanks!

Geonerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I can't say anything for mileage but going from 10w30 to 0w20 did make my old Tracker feel a little better when it was cold. I am talking about mornings in the teens and twentys tho.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

i would not sacrifice lubrication for a miniscule economy gain. just use a 0W30 to be safe.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

Some cars have been "cleared" for 5W20 from originally specced 5W30 though. I think Ford released a TSB saying most everything from the mid 90s up was okay with 5W20 if 5W30 was originally specified.

Don't whatever you do start running 20W50 for oil consumption problems, been there, go to a 5W30 "high mileage" oil, I found Pennzoil, and Castrol to be the best in Marvin (Motomaster isn't too bad either if you're in Canada)
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Changing from 5W40 (I'm pretty sure that's what was in it) to 0W30 in Effram didn't produce measurable improvements. 09/03/2008 is the date of the gaslog entry for that oil change.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geonerd View Post
There's a lively discussion over on BobIsTheOilGuy about the benefits of 0W20 and similar 'fuel saving' oils. Has anyone here switched from a thicker oil (5/10W30/40) to a 'thin' (0/5W20) lube? Did you see a significant change in FE? Do you happen to have fuel log data? (Not a matter of trust, I'd just like to see the numbers! )

Thanks!
actual testing, do a web search, will result up to . 5 mpg better.
I run 5w20 in my '99 dakota 4x4 w/ 5.2 L v-8 in the winter time, oil analysis came back nothing unusal. The engine does rev faster when that oil is in there. warmer temps I run 5w30.

checkout this write up. The author does post on bobistheoilguy.
http://www.toyotatundraforum.com/tec...oil-101-a.html

this site has some decent info
http://machinerylubrication.com/

what ever oil u use, recommend an oil analysis, its the only way to know, if u read BITOG, then u already know that.
good luck
CA ExhaustCoatings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #7

Thanks guys.
The thread in question is at: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1526919 Feel free to wade in....
Old 07-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
i would not sacrifice lubrication for a minuscule economy gain. just use a 0W30 to be safe.
I'm with you in that regard. While the xW20 oils are well proven, I'm an old fart and am somewhat suspicious of the CAFE enforced spec. Hydrodynamic bearings require viscosity to generate pressure, and I don't see the point in running anywhere near the edge of the envelope. I do a lot of P/G, and the engine sees lots of idling in neutral and low RPM, moderate throttle use. Under those conditions, my thinking is that somewhat thicker oil will work better. Furthermore, the drag difference between 'thick' and 'thin' oil at low revs is minimal.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #9
Registered Member

I've read that 15w40 is best for lubrication and fuel economy. If it is best for lubrication it would make sense that it is best for fuel economy, because of less friction. I use 10w40 year round.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 10:57 PM   #10

I use 0w30 in my cav. I haven't seen any gains from it. The main reason I use it, is it is the only oil I can run for 8000 miles before changing. Even at 8k, it still has a TSB of ~3.

Ratman667 is offline   Reply With Quote