Throttle Body problem? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-01-2007, 03:49 PM   #21
Registered Member

I recommend getting a haynes repair manual its such a small investment that will pay for itself over and over. The manual tells you just about how to fix the whole d a m n car. Even if your not a mechanic inclined person. Haynes makes it easy to understand how to fix it. Plus you gain the knowledge of how to work on cars for yourself.

bfg9000d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 07:25 PM   #22
Registered Member

Till you buy a manual, you can use this link.
http://www.honda.co.uk/car/owner/workshop.html

Old 09-03-2007, 12:43 PM   #23
Registered Member

To me, your throttle problem sounds like a sticking throttle cable. To solve this, lubricate all the friction points with some PB Blaster and clean the throttle body with some throttle body cleaner. I had the same issue with my 95 VX.

Your low RPM acceleration stutter sounds to me like the car just doesn't have enough power, and that it might simply need a tune up to accelerate a little smoother. In addition to the plugs, I would replace the distributer cap/rotor, and plug wires if the look old. It should help with making the acceleration even smoother, but I agree, the new and correct NGK v-powers ALWAYS made a difference for every Honda I used them in.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:42 PM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
I've done all the tune up bits. You don't think the o2 sensor would make it run smoother at highway speeds and accelerating? It's just these sudden surges of power (small) but annoying--make it hard to maintain a constant speed. Losing and gaining power all the time. Especially at higher speeds. Is this just part of the behavior of the lean burn? Do you think replacing the throttle body would help? I still haven't done any of the other DYI mentioned on here by various members.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
I've done all the tune up bits. You don't think the o2 sensor would make it run smoother at highway speeds and accelerating? It's just these sudden surges of power (small) but annoying--make it hard to maintain a constant speed. Losing and gaining power all the time. Especially at higher speeds. Is this just part of the behavior of the lean burn? Do you think replacing the throttle body would help? I still haven't done any of the other DYI mentioned on here by various members.
I replaced my O2 sensor last year because I didn't know how old it was. I didn't see any difference with the new one.
Old 09-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #26
Registered Member

does your car maintain constant speed at high speed? Or do you feel it slow down, gain power, slow down, gain power at 70mph? I still haven't gotten any VX owners that say "no, this doesn't happen" or "yes, this is normal, my car does it too"

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:41 PM   #27
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
does your car maintain constant speed at high speed? Or do you feel it slow down, gain power, slow down, gain power at 70mph? I still haven't gotten any VX owners that say "no, this doesn't happen" or "yes, this is normal, my car does it too"
70MPH!!!!!!!!! I'm trying for 70MPG. I doubt that my VX sees 60 more that 1 mile/Month. My car has an aftermarket cruise control thats set for 49MPH on my way to & from work. I do EOC for 10 to 15% of my 30 mile trip to work & back. The few times I'm on a highway, I'm probably running 55 tops. I don't experience the up & down power you describe. I'm slowly raising tire pressures too. I also run the A/C as much as needed.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #28
Registered Member

hehe, sometimes I drive with other people in the car *gasp* and if it's 80 mile interstate driving I sometimes will yield to their desire to get some place and go 75mph. Anyway, I have a feeling I'll never solve this problem on my car. very sad.

Old 09-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #29
Registered Member

You might want to take off the EGR valve to clean it out. My car has a similar hesitation (though I think it might not be as drastic as yours), and everything else has been replaced tune-up wise, or cleaned out (including the IACV).

All you should need to take it off is a wrench, it could be cleaned out with some throttle body cleaner, and then it should probably be resealed with some high temp RTV when it gets put back on.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #30
Registered Member

is their anybody who lives close to this guy who can help him out. Where do you live????? 1993CivicVX

bfg9000d is offline   Reply With Quote