Valvoline Synpower Oil Change Interval - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-23-2008, 04:08 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by moboman View Post
The ecotec actually does monitor the oil to tell you when to change it. It monitors all the characteristics.
Can you provide a link to documentation on this? I thought only Chrysler's system actually measures the age of the oil through specific sensors designed to measure its chemical properties.

Quote:
Other GMs just have an idiot light come on when its "time to change" suggested by the book.
Definitely not. GM oil lights come on based on driving conditions measurable by existing sensors -- engine temperature, RPM, maybe IAT, TPS, etc. My 2002 GMC light definitely shows a difference in oil life based on my driving.

From http://www.goodwrench.com/Services/OilChange.jsp
Quote:
Most GM vehicles are now equipped with the GM Oil Life System. This system actually senses your vehicle's speed and engine temperature and can continuously monitor operating conditions. This helps determine when it's time to change the oil.

This system can actually monitor your personal driving habits and your area's climate condition to let you know precisely when to come in for a Goodwrench Oil Change.
What they don't say there, but do say in the manual, is that it can't account for stuff it can't measure -- for example, operation in dirty/dusty conditions. In those cases it is recommended to change the oil sooner.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:51 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gork57 View Post
I'm considering going to Valvoline Synpower for my next oil change at Brakes Plus. I went to the Valvoline website, and they suggest using the normal oil change interval recommended by the manufacturer. In the case of my '92 Civic VX, I believe that's 5000 miles (of course oil change shops always recommend 3000)-have to check my manual on that. What's the real deal here?

I posted something awhile back (or maybe just read someone else's thread on it), and I recall the consensus was about 5k. A "normal" oil change costs $21.99, synthetic is $51.99; I'm not so sure the cost-benefit evaluation works so well for this at more than double the cost.

Facts, opinions, and experiences with Synpower would be appreciated.
I switched from Mobil 1 to Valvoline Synpower 2 oil changes ago. I just bought another 5 quart jug of the Valvoline Syn at wallyworld. It was $20. (5w30) Not much more than dino.....not sure but the 5 qt jug of Valvoline dino was around $13.something I think. $7.00 or so difference or $4.00 a qt for the syn. I don't recall what the filters cost as I have a case of them. I am using a 5,000 mile (approx) change interval. Sometimes I will change it at 4,900 and sometimes, 5,100. Depends on when I get around to it.

I didn't notice any difference in engine performance or gas mileage or anything elce between the 2 different brands.. The oil doesn't come out black so without testing it I feel comphy using it with the 5,000 mile change interval. It would probably go a little longer actually. My main reason for using syn in this vehicle is it's better lube qualities over dino. I have another vehicle that I run dino in. Due to it's high mileage I decided not to switch it over. That gets 3,000 or so change intervals. I havn't had any problem with either. The only thing I would not change is the mfg recommended viscosity. Use that and either dino or synthetic.....whichever you prefer or feel comphy with.

But this is my experience with it going by my usage and I realize everyone's usage and experience could vary.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:01 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm considering going to Valvoline Synpower for my next oil change at Brakes Plus. I went to the Valvoline website, and they suggest using the normal oil change interval recommended by the manufacturer. In the case of my '92 Civic VX, I believe that's 5000 miles (of course oil change shops always recommend 3000)-have to check my manual on that. What's the real deal here?

I posted something awhile back (or maybe just read someone else's thread on it), and I recall the consensus was about 5k. A "normal" oil change costs $21.99, synthetic is $51.99; I'm not so sure the cost-benefit evaluation works so well for this at more than double the cost.

I switched from Mobil 1 to Valvoline Synpower 2 oil changes ago. I just bought another 5 quart jug of the Valvoline Syn at wallyworld. It was $20. (5w30) Not much more than dino.....not sure but the 5 qt jug of Valvoline dino was around $13.something I think. $7.00 or so difference or $4.00 a qt for the syn. I don't recall what the filters cost as I have a case of them. I am using a 5,000 mile (approx) change interval. Sometimes I will change it at 4,900 and sometimes, 5,100. Depends on when I get around to it.

I didn't notice any difference in engine performance or gas mileage or anything elce between the 2 different brands.. The oil doesn't come out black so without testing it I feel comphy using it with the 5,000 mile change interval. It would probably go a little longer actually. My main reason for using syn in this vehicle is it's better lube qualities over dino. I have another vehicle that I run dino in. Due to it's high mileage I decided not to switch it over. That gets 3,000 or so change intervals. I havn't had any problem with either. The only thing I would not change is the mfg recommended viscosity. Use that and either dino or synthetic.....whichever you prefer or feel comphy with.

This is my experience with Synpower/Mobil 1/dino going by my usage and I realize everyone's usage and experience could vary.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:

I saw Valvoline Synpower at Walmart last night for $19. for a 5 quart jug. I think they had 5w30 and 0w30 both. It wouldn't be that expensive if you do the oil change yourself. Probably $25-$28 with tax and a new filter.

#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote