Valvoline Synpower Oil Change Interval - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

Valvoline Synpower Oil Change Interval

I'm considering going to Valvoline Synpower for my next oil change at Brakes Plus. I went to the Valvoline website, and they suggest using the normal oil change interval recommended by the manufacturer. In the case of my '92 Civic VX, I believe that's 5000 miles (of course oil change shops always recommend 3000)-have to check my manual on that. What's the real deal here?

I posted something awhile back (or maybe just read someone else's thread on it), and I recall the consensus was about 5k. A "normal" oil change costs $21.99, synthetic is $51.99; I'm not so sure the cost-benefit evaluation works so well for this at more than double the cost.

Facts, opinions, and experiences with Synpower would be appreciated.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
Registered Member

buy mobile 1 or amsoil and do it yourself for $45 or less. to boot you only have to change it once per year.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I run Mobil 1. Usually I do a 10k oil change but I just hit 10K and the oil looked fine so I just topped it off with another quart of 0w-20(slightly overfilled now) and threw in a new supertech oil filter for good measure. By the looks of it I've probably got another 5-7K left in that oil.

I'm kinda shocked that an engine that recommends 10w-30 new and has 110k miles on it only eats a quart and a half of 0w-20 between 10k changes. Especially since GM even says that a quart of oil between 3k changes is 'acceptable, normal consumption'. Then again, it is a Suzuki engine.

Synpower is a fully synthetic motor oil. I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't be able to get 10k out of it. Then again, according to my owners manual, dino oil under the conditions that I drive should be changed every 7,500 miles. So your engine might be harder on oil.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:59 PM   #4
Registered Member

Synpower's a fine oil. However, if they don't give you allowance to do an extended drain I'd look at other options such as Amsoil or go the cheap route and do it strictly by the book.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

be careful in overfilling, don't want to do it by too much. You can blow seals and things.
KU40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:58 PM   #6
Registered Member

our shop just recently switched to recommending all oil changes at 6mo 5k mi intervals, and pushing syn blend and mobil1 for those uncomfortable with this, and of course ppl can always come in early. all the newer gm vehicles seem to have an oil life monitor as well.

thought we were the odd ones out, but i noticed a few ads/signs for other shops recently touting 5k mi oil changes too

i'm wondering how wide spread this might be
Old 10-22-2008, 05:13 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
My 2008 VW's service schedule is for an oil change every 10,000 miles.

My 2002 GMC has the oil life monitor and IIRC it runs about 6,000 to 7,000 miles for my driving style.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:48 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhj2000 View Post
Synpower's a fine oil. However, if they don't give you allowance to do an extended drain I'd look at other options such as Amsoil or go the cheap route and do it strictly by the book.
I agree. If Im paying $6 a quart, I would expect more than $3 per quart oil. I just switched to 5w20 Mobil One. So far, so good, stuff looks clean, and its been ~4000 miles...
Old 10-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to jeep45238
I'm using a K&N oil filter off of a Dodge 2.4L turbo 4 banger on my Saturn, and Royal Purple.

It pours in purple, checks essentially clear on the stick before you fire itup for the first time, and then goes to the light tan of a 'regular' oil - I change mine when the oil is black and dirty. Smell, as well as the feel of the oil, is my guide, not the miles driven.

I'm also trying to milk the miles out of this worn out bottom end so I can save the money, and get the time, to replace it - I'll likely go 5000 mile intervals afterwards.

jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to moboman Send a message via Yahoo to moboman
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000mc View Post
our shop just recently switched to recommending all oil changes at 6mo 5k mi intervals, and pushing syn blend and mobil1 for those uncomfortable with this, and of course ppl can always come in early. all the newer gm vehicles seem to have an oil life monitor as well.
The ecotec actually does monitor the oil to tell you when to change it. It monitors all the characteristics.
Other GMs just have an idiot light come on when its "time to change" suggested by the book.

moboman is offline   Reply With Quote