Vtec-e just killed my car - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2006, 01:48 PM   #1
Driving on E

Vtec-e just killed my car

I was cruising today and decided I wanted to see how vtec felt, even though it's only "vtec-e," I'm sure the power difference was noticable.

So i revved to 3000rpm while driving and I noticed a sudden boost in power. Very cool.

Then as I came to a stop at the stoplight my engine died. Tried restarting it, nada.

I pushed myself to the side of the road and it appeared that my oil light was on. I checked my oil level and the oil was below the lowest mark on the dipstick.

I walked to the closest gas station, got a few quarts of gas an then walked back.

When I got back I checked the oil level again and it was back to normal. The car also started right up at this point.

Can anyone tell me what might cause this to happen? Hopefully it's an easy fix. I'm beginning to get discouraged with constantly needing to fix something on this car.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
FE nut

This is pure speculation on my part, not being a Honda person, but, could Honda have a low oil sensor That may have shut it down? The drain holes in the head might be gunked up enough and isn't allowing the oil to return to the pan fast enough? This would make sense since it happened after a slight romp& stomp. We'll have to have a talk about that later, "Mr Webmaster of a fueleconomy website."

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 03:27 PM   #3
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
i bet vtec hasnt been used on that motor in a long time. as far as why it wouldnt start... very odd. vtec works off of an oil pressure switch. where exactly is the oil level? and when was the last time the motor was run before you bought it?
Old 08-27-2006, 05:49 PM   #4
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared
i bet vtec hasnt been used on that motor in a long time. as far as why it wouldnt start... very odd. vtec works off of an oil pressure switch. where exactly is the oil level? and when was the last time the motor was run before you bought it?
The engine was a crate engine from japan, meaning it could have very well been sitting for years in a warehouse. I'm also willing to speculate that the vtec hasn't been used in a VERY long time.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

So what are you going to do? I'd try it again
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:35 PM   #6
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
So what are you going to do? I'd try it again
I might try again tomorrow.

I'm getting a bit bummed about my car. Preliminary fillups indicate that the gas mileage isn't what I expected it to be, which could be due to a number of problems. I really don't want to give up, but life situations may require me to have a functioning car really soon that can seat three people. As it is now I have three cars that can seat three people, but I wouldn't drive them farther than 20 miles from my house.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:53 AM   #7
Registered Member

I had a similar problem

Matt-

I had a similar problem with a b16A2 in my '99 Si. The oil level dropped below VTEC operating range in a hard corner (neglect on my part) and it went into "safe mode". I freaked-out because it just limped along, so I went straight to the dealer to get the diagnosis Since VTEC is operated by oil pressure, my guess is that yours used additional oil and fell victim to a similar problem. Is your oil pan the same size and is the oil filter relatively new? Second guess would be that the oil is staying up in the heads too long and not draining properly (clogged?) Just brainstorming here...

RH77
Old 08-28-2006, 02:03 AM   #8
Registered Member

Just add more oil and try it again!

What is your FE like so far? I wouldn't get too disappointed until you get a SuperMID. It makes all the difference.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:22 AM   #9

Don't get bummed Matt, but I recommend having a car that doesn't get tinkered with beyond tuneups and maintenace if you're expecting a 3rd family member (is a preemptive congratulations due? ).

As for the problem, it sounds like the VTEC just sucked up more of the oil. Have you checked the oil screen behind the VTEC solenoid? Check that and top off the oil and you should be fine. It won't hurt to have A LITTLE more oil than called for in the engine.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:06 AM   #10
Registered Member

everyone seems to know what they are talking about. Now, about keeping the oil level low...one thing that kills Honda heads as fast as a snapped timing belts is low oil. If the cam isn't being lubed enough, the friction in the bearings increase to the point the cam ends will seize in the caps and shear the sprocket key off as it locks up, ruining a few important parts. Just keep an eye on the oil level, I imagine it's the leading cause of death to most Hondas, because it sure isn't design failure. Mak

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote