VX a/c Woes - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
Registered Member

VX a/c Woes

Hey,

Wonder if y'all could help me trouble-shoot my VX a/c. This may sound like a previous Thread of mine, but the story changes midway through. I had the a/c serviced and topped off with coolant a month ago. The only way the mechanic could get it to run was to run a ground wire from behind the glove box to the engine. Obviously, i didn't drive it home that way. Several days later I turned it on and it worked fine (without a ground wire) for a couple of weeks. Then, it began to only work intermittantly; it would work on the way to work, but not on the way home. Then it worked fine for several days. Several days ago it didn't work, but today, after not driving the car or attempted a fix, it worked. The interior fan always blows. when the a/c doesn't work, it just blows warm air. Is this a sympton of the compressor going bad or does it sound like an electrical/switch/ground problem. Thanks.

LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Registered Member

does the compressor clutch engage? can you change speed on the blower motor? does the condensor fan turn on? does the low side ac line (one closer to the engine) freeze up?

tapwc19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Have you tried grounding that wire again? If grounding the wire always makes it work, then it's a switch problem.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
Registered Member

I just ran it on full blast for 5 min. It worked perfectly. The compressor fan came on immediately, the clutch engaged and the inside fan (is that the blower motor) works on any fan speed setting. After it got sub-zero inside the car (only a few minutes), the compressor fan shut off and clutch disengaged, but then came right back on a second or two after the fan stopped spinning. I assume that's normal.

I don't know what the mechanic had the ground wire connected to behind the glove box. And it's working fine without it. well, almost fine.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

oh, the low pressure line shows no sign of ice, but it does get cold. it's well insulated.
when the a/c works, it works. it's never quite working while in operation. i know immediately when i start the car if it will work or not.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
Registered Member

ac problem

i have a 95 vx and i have the same problem.

It was dirty contacts on the condensor temp switch and the relay.

ac now works.

The ac control panel is also known to be the culprit.

Please email me at gtstwincam@yahoo.com

Like to add you to my VX owners address book to keep in touch with problems/fixes like this.

gerald