VX "headlight on" signal question - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-31-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
Junior Mint

VX "headlight on" signal question

This question is about the alert sound you here when the ignition is off and the headlights are on. From looking at the diagram, it appears that Honda put the light on signal in with the stereo. I believe that the red-black wire is the light on signal, but I don't see a ground associated with it. How does this wire in to the stereo... or am I way off base? I am afraid that I will be stranded because I am a knuckle-head and will likely walk away from the car with my lights on like I did yesterday. I was lucky in that there was enough juice to turn her over, but I might not be that lucky next time. Any advice on how to get this working would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-31-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
I've jump started mine on a couple occasions because I left the lights on. I have some jumper cables in my car for when that happens. The beeping noise that the car makes when you turn it off seems to have no bearing on headlights. The VX does not have head light sound warning as far as I know.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:11 PM   #3
Registered Member

A agree. The VX has NO reminder for when you leave your lights on. Do a search on Honda-tech and you should be able to find a how-to to wire one up.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
*shrug*

You can hook a buzzer up to such and such fuses in the fuse box to go off if you leave the lights on, not hard at all.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:12 PM   #5
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
You can hook a buzzer up to such and such fuses in the fuse box to go off if you leave the lights on, not hard at all.
Easy for you to say, I'm electronically challenged! Do you have a diagram or some ideas on how? If I hook it up to the light fuse it would ring while I was driving with the lights on, right?!! I am open to suggestions.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
*shrug*

I forget exactly how to do it, but I think you hook the power side up to the fuse for the lights and the ground up to something to only becomes grounded with the key out, like the rear defroster or something? I forget exactly. Just mess around...
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogncatboy View Post
Easy for you to say, I'm electronically challenged! Do you have a diagram or some ideas on how? If I hook it up to the light fuse it would ring while I was driving with the lights on, right?!! I am open to suggestions.
Hook it up to the dome light switch and light PW output. Ehm... Get one of those $1.50 relays (damn u inflation11!1 ) und hook the PW up to the light fuse, unless it's relayed, then use the relay output, so if the lights are on when you open the door the current from the dome light being on will engage the relay, which will trigger the buzzer, or blinky light, or whatever ya wanna put in to alert yerself to lights on+open door from the powered lights. GND goes to GND, w/ the +12V from the active device and power going to the thing that alerts ya to it's activity.

edited cuz of b33r
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:51 PM   #8
Registered Member

http://www.torontocivics.com/article...er/buzzer.html

Go to Radio Shack or similar store for piezoelectric buzzer for $3. You will need to find out which fuses apply for your car since the 91 civic did not match my VX. It's easy enough to find - the fuse descriptions are on the back of the fuse cover.

I have not drained by battery since I installed this!
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 05:34 PM   #9
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziasman View Post
http://www.torontocivics.com/article...er/buzzer.html

Go to Radio Shack or similar store for piezoelectric buzzer for $3. You will need to find out which fuses apply for your car since the 91 civic did not match my VX. It's easy enough to find - the fuse descriptions are on the back of the fuse cover.

I have not drained by battery since I installed this!
Excellent info. Thank you for the link. I will get a chance to try it tomorrow.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:30 PM   #10
Registered Member

thanks for the info!