VX hesitation - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-04-2008, 04:31 AM   #1
Registered Member

VX hesitation

Hello, I have posted this question on another Honda site (and have gotten some good information) but someone suggested that this is a better forum for a VX question. Question as follows: I have a '92 VX that hesitates badly once it warms up (runs fine when cold). I purchased this car recently, the hesitation was pre-existing. We have done a full tune up, including plugs and wires, fuel filter, air filter, oil filter, oil etc... This didn't help.
I have a spare engine which we have used to swap out sensors and parts. We have swapped out all the sensors on the intake manifold, the distributor, and the ECU, none of this has helped.
The check engine light has never come on, so there are no codes to help diagnose.
It has a 5 wire O2 sensor, which looks newer, I have not confirmed whether it is an NGK or otherwise (have read that Bosch can be problematic). Any help or suggestions on how to correct this problem would be appreciated

mrmcg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
Registered Member

First suspects would be coolant temp sensor & o2 sensor.

Old 10-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Based on my VX experience, this indicates bad o2 sensor: I have a '92 VX that hesitates badly once it warms up (runs fine when cold).

There's no reason to think both o2 sensors are tired. How many miles on the spare engine? Was the hesitation the same with both o2 sensors or was it slightly worse with one or the other?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
He didn't try a different O2 sensor.

There's a big topic above this one with almost the same title.

Tell baller status I said "what's up".

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:08 PM   #5
Registered Member

My spare engine did not come with an O2 sensor. We are going to try testing the existing sensor in the next few days to see if it is in spec. The mileage on both engines is a unknown.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:31 AM   #6
Registered Member

I had a similar problem with my vx engine. Check the tps sensor. should register +.5v with engine off and throttle completely closed, and +4.5-4.6v at wot. Adjust the sensor until you get the correct values.
socalsupehero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #7
Registered Member

I looked at the O2 sensor today. It says "L1H1 Japan", which I assume is the OEM NGK/NTK. The mechanic I am working with was not sure how to test it, or what was considered "in spec", any help on that would be appreciated. We will also test the TPS sensor as suggested. Thanks
Old 10-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #8
Registered Member

I had a bad hesitation problem that turned out to be the result of a dirty throttle body. My mechanic cleaned the throttle body and that did the trick.
GasSavers_mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
Registered Member

I also had a bad hesitation that turned out to be severely retarded timing. It may sound stupid, but it's easy enough to check and cross off your list of potential reasons.
roadsterbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:13 AM   #10
Registered Member

We cleaned the throttle body and checked the timing, they didn't do the trick. Finally purchased a new O2 sensor (NTK L1H1 for $99 from www.autopartsdirecttoyou.com), it seems to have worked. There is still some subtle hesitation but I think I can live with it. Now I need a road trip to see what the mileage is like.
Another question: what should the engine idle at when warmed up? Mine seems to idle at about 500 rpms or lower, it has not stalled yet but feels like it wants to.