VX hesitation/stutter. Posted before, I know....but require further insight. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
Registered Member

VX hesitation/stutter. Posted before, I know....but require further insight.

Hey Guys.....have owned a Fairly mint 1992 CDN VX, Milano red, for the past two weeks. Replaced plugs with stock brand new OEM NGK ZFR4F-11 ones, have a REALLY good Acura/Honda STEALERSHIP Parts friend who got me a BRAND NEW Honda OEM (Not NTK aftermarket replacement) P/N: 36531-P07-013, 5 wire Linear Air Fuel mixture sensor for $170 CDN OUT the door!!!!!!, and replaced ign wire with brand new blue NGK ones.....OEM Honda ones are NOW TOTALLY discontinued (Honda hasn't built a ign wire car now since 2002!!!!!!

So....with ALL this new stuff I am still getting the 1500-2500 rpm ONCE only stutter/bog.....Donaronian was saying that he has a friend, or maybe someone actually on here that HAS owned a VX since Brand New and apparently it HAS ALWAYS done this exact same symtom.......is this true or should I spend some more $$$$$$$ trying to solve this petty little issue. ONLY does it at VERY partial throttle, and NOT ever at WOT or coasting/cruising.

Any suggestions/advice/further enlightenment...

thanks guys

pics are pending.

BTW...ONLY Paid $900 CASH WITH a complete mounted set of Hankook snow tires with rims!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1/4's just totally done this past May WITH metal.....has NOT seen snow/salt yet!!!!!

k20eh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #2
Registered Member

Here she is.....in all her $900 glory and "VXness!!!!" WOW those front ends are HIGH!!!!!!!

Yup....that's a B16'ed, S1 trannied, CX behind'er. Paid $1700 for it three years ago TOTALLY stock! It's come a LONG way since it's humble beginnings....it's managed by a pherable.net P28 ecu.

So there's my EH2's.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

Check out your TPS sensor.

I would also check the timing since that being off can cause hesitation as well.

Good luck and nice civics!

PS:
Yes, those civics have a LOT of wheel gap from the factory. I have eliminated wheel gap on mine to get me the stance I want and a sportier (less boaty) ride.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Isn't it also riding higher because the tires are too big? I think the person on these forums you may want to speak to is Gary who goes by the alias "R.I.D.E."

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
Registered Member

While I appreciate the vote of confidence 1993CivicVX, my actual experience with Hondas and Civics is fairly limited.

My first guess would be you are experiencing the transition from lean burn to non lean burn. The second intake valve actuation is at 2500, and that same point is generally where lean burn ceases to function.

I don't really feel it in my VX much because I usually never go past 2500 RPM, and keep throttle position below 20% to maintain lean burn to the greatest extent possible.

I have felt a stumble or hesitation at times but it is nothing that really concerns me and does not seem to be repeatable.

It may be the nature of the beast so to say. The problem with the terms hesitation and stumble is they are very imprecise.

Does the event occur for more than say a 1/4 second?
Is it enough to make you actually feel significant deceleration?

Your terms "petty little issue" seem to indicate its not that terribly noticeable. That is how I would describe it when I experince it on mine.

Can you drive it in such a way that it never happens, by keeping throttle positions under 20% and engine revs under 2500 RPM? Acclerator pedal travel is about 3 inches so 20% throttle would be just a little more than 1/2 inch.

I would also think if you accelerate at greater than 20% and then let off the throttle at 2500 you may get a compounding of the effect.

Try it and let us know.

regards
gary
Old 10-05-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
Isn't it also riding higher because the tires are too big? I think the person on these forums you may want to speak to is Gary who goes by the alias "R.I.D.E."
Wrong tire size.....LOL It's riding on the totally stock size as per the drivers door jamb/owners manual.

MMmmm, fixed the ride height anyways......was driving it right after the suspension mods and she's stil doing it.....Gary. Going to live with it.....if it get's worse I may purchase a brand new Distributor King distributor for it.....

TOTALLY Aside from the SLIGHT stuttering @ 20% throttle....it's a FINE operating machine and appears to be getting FANTASTIC mileage....especially now with the BRAND new LAF and the upshift light functioning as it should be.
Really enjoy driving it.

Hey Danronian.....is it you that has the person you know of that's had their VX since BRAND New and it's ALWAYS had the similar stuttering condition as mine?

Looking for some insight from TomO as well.....thanks Guys.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Registered Member

Some of your problem may be related to the non stock induction parts.

Here is a picture of my engine compartment, and one of the car.

regards
gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02525.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1239   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02526.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	1240  
Old 10-06-2008, 02:31 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Some of your problem may be related to the non stock induction parts.

Here is a picture of my engine compartment, and one of the car.

regards
gary
I still have the OEM intake. I'll put it back in.....although this is how I recently purchased the car...with this setup. It also SMOG'ed with this setup VERY easily as well. I'll try that Gary. Thanks for your input Man.

Any other suggestions from others....?
Old 10-06-2008, 07:33 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
I'd suggest cleaning the EGR valve and ports, especially with you saying that it happens once warm. Light throttle when warm is when the EGR activates and if the ports are clogged in some runners it will cause the cylinders' power to be unbalanced and cause a "stuttering" like symptom.

And that Intake definitely will reduce low end torque, the stocker will help keep air intake velocity up, which is what you want with the Z1 in order to properly promote a good swirl effect in the combustion chamber.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:02 PM   #10
Registered Member

I don't know anyone personally with the VX from the factory but I have talked to someone on this forum (or possibly honda-tech) with a first-owner VX who said it has the hesitation problem when going out of lean-burn and has since it was new.

It looks SO much better after the height adjustment. If you aren't used to the VX "power-band" I'm guessing it's just the crossover out of lean-burn. Mine also only does it with a small amount of throttle and only at certain times. Same exact thing my friend's did and the same thing my did before I replaced the motor with a lower mile one. I would suspect the car is fine until it throws a code or the MPG isn't any good.

Good luck with the VX. I'm sure you'll end up loving it.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote