VX Ignition Lock Cylinder - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

VX Ignition Lock Cylinder

The lock cylinder in my VX is starting to act up. It has always been a little finicky (will only turn with the key in one way; flip it over and it will not work), but it has recently taken a turn for the worse. Now it requires a lot of jiggling and baby talk before it will turn. My wife sprayed WD40 in it (I was not home), which did nothing other than coat the key in black liquid every time you remove it.

How difficult is it to replace the lock cylinder? I do not know much about working with electrical systems. I do not own a soldering iron. Should I even attempt it?

Also, my door locks have always had problems. You must pull the key out about 1/8 inch and sometimes jiggle it in order for the locks to operate. Should I get them all taken care of at the same time? (i.e. is it possible to get them all keyed the same so I do not have to use 2 keys?)

Thanks.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
Registered Member

Some cars you need to pull the steering wheel to get the ignition lock off, it's unlikely you'll need a soldering iron, should be plugged in. In order to get a complete lock set, you'll probably have to go to a dealer. You could try Rockauto.com

If just replacing the ignition cylinder, avoid "standard auto parts" brand, I'm rather unhappy with the last one I had.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Are you sure it's the cylinder and not the key? Do you have a spare key that's not worn out?

My GMC has the exact same symptoms with some keys but others work great (I have many copies).
Old 09-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theholycow View Post
Are you sure it's the cylinder and not the key? Do you have a spare key that's not worn out?

My GMC has the exact same symptoms with some keys but others work great (I have many copies).
I tried all three keys. The symptoms are the same.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:13 AM   #5
Registered Member

Pulling the steering wheel brings other issues. I've never done that on a car with an airbag. Hmmm.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
Registered Member

If you have the original key code available you may solve your problem with a key that is cut to that code, not cut from one of your existing keys.

When you referred to the fact that you have to pull the key out 1/8 inch to work the door locks, it made me think that your problem could be a worn key.
If your other keys were cut using that worn key, then they would have the same issue.

Another way would be to have a key cut by a locksmith based on the existing cuts in the key with the shoulder problem eliminated, but that could be some serious trial and error.

regards
gary
Old 09-24-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
you can always take your car to Honda and have them look at the VIN number and have them cut a factory fresh key. They don't need your existing worn out key.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Registered Member

The key works perfectly in the hatch. Besides, one of the keys was a spare and had minimal wear. The door locks are just worn out.
Old 09-26-2009, 04:16 AM   #9

Replacing the locks is pretty easy. MOST vehicles you stick a paper clip in a small hole, turn the lock with the key in it, and out it comes. Install is the reverse.

DOOR & hatch locks are MUCH more difficult because you've got to pull panels. I'd replace the locks. If the doors are not TOO difficult, then I'd do them as well.

Here's the "one key" solution - do the two keys interchange? IE you can put the door key in the locks and vice versa? If so - you are in great shape. If they are not the same shape, then you can't have only one key without visiting a machinist.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #10

I had the same problem on another brand of car once. The car was beat and this was the easiest and cheapest solution. I took the tumblers(the round part that you put the key into) out of the locks and removed the little pins that are matched to each bump on the key. Without the pins anything including a screwdriver will turn the lock. It's a great solution because who would ever think you did this to your locks? And it's cheap.
The only other solution you have is to buy a good used set of locks and keys. Perhaps you can find something on ebay?

N2UAD is offline   Reply With Quote