VX Intake Questions - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelgt73 View Post
I'm sure they are (isn't the new version of the CRX a go for production?). The problem is that along with the CRX HF, the VX was an extremely light car (right around 2000 lb). The modern 2d civic with all of it's safety features and crumple zones is pushing 2400lbs. And the 07 Fit is 2390lb!!!
I like the CRZ concept car (the new CRX, as it is known), and word is that Honda has approved it for production. Here's the link: http://automobiles.honda.com/cr-z/ Nevertheless, it is a hybrid, with all the technology and expense that producing such a vehicle entails. Today's high fuel-efficiency cars come at a cost premium; there seems to be a ceiling at present to how much mpg a pure internal-combustion vehicle can attain: Toyota (Yaris), Honda (Fit), Nissan (Versa), etc. seem to be limited to about 35 mpg or so. To get more than that, you are talking hybrid-and a much higher list price.

The VX is pretty much a bare-bones car, and lacks such amenities as power steering, power windows, power door locks, etc. In light of your weight comparison, the elimination of these amenities would seem to be where some of the reduction came from.

I for one am a big fan of the Fit. I test drove the present model, and loved it. I am really looking forward to the 2009 Fit, which looks to have corrected problems drivers have griped about in the 2007-2008 versions. Nevertheless if I do buy a 2009 Fit, I will sacrifice some mpg in giving up my VX for more creature comfort.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:28 PM   #22
Registered Member

Considering the increased fuel expense involved over the next 200k miles, taxes, insurance, and resale my VX is worth more than a new FIT right now.

If I want a clock, I check my cell phone.
If I want a radio, I'll buy a small portable at Wally World than I can plug into my lighter socket.
No power steering leaks, no busted power window regulators or motors, no power door lock failures.

I believe the VX would pass current 50 state emissions with the new fuel with less sulpher and 10% alcohol.

Its truly a shame they didn't refine it for 15 years. Think of how good it could be now.

regards
gary

Old 07-05-2008, 09:41 AM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Considering the increased fuel expense involved over the next 200k miles, taxes, insurance, and resale my VX is worth more than a new FIT right now.

If I want a clock, I check my cell phone.
If I want a radio, I'll buy a small portable at Wally World than I can plug into my lighter socket.
No power steering leaks, no busted power window regulators or motors, no power door lock failures.

I believe the VX would pass current 50 state emissions with the new fuel with less sulpher and 10% alcohol.

Its truly a shame they didn't refine it for 15 years. Think of how good it could be now.

regards
gary
VERY well put. I agree 100%.

Until a Fit gets well over 50 MPG it won't be a worthwhile economical upgrade for my $2k VX. I'll wait till I find a cheap Insight to sell off the VX.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:20 AM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gork57 View Post
Wonder if Honda is doing any research about a new VX-type car?
The main barrier to lean-burn has been emissions. Lean mixtures create very high NOx emissions. I found an article where they have just discovered a way to improve catalysts making clean lean-burn engines possible.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0222095427.htm

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:31 PM   #25
Registered Member

I use my VX to do pizza delivery (it is my only job at present)- a lot of stop and go driving, and it's pretty hard on the car. Many things are wearing out on the old ride now. Here's what I've changed out in the last year or two, in no particular order (most of the work done by yours truly):

1. New front brake calipers and rotors.
2. New master brake cylinder.
3. New LAF sensor.
4. New hatch struts.
5. New clutch.
6. New CV boots.

And here is what still needs to be done:

1. Center exhaust pipe needs replacement - has hole near the muffler.
2. Door lock latches need replacement - can't lock the car from the inside.
3. Rear brake job, replace both drums.
4. Rough idle/puffing. Probably needs EACV replacement, or maybe just the EACV filter-which is next on the agenda.

Of course, the cost of all this work still comes out to a lot less than buying a new car. I also don't have to worry about paying for comprehensive insurance - I only do liability right now.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:00 AM   #26
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
Quote:
Originally Posted by gork57 View Post
2. Door lock latches need replacement - can't lock the car from the inside.
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess you might not have owned many honda's, if so then i apologizes...but i have seen this mentioned by people before and its not broken its how it was designed...Honda made a little trick to help prevent you from locking your keys in the car...when you try and lock the door from the inside on the drivers side try pulling the handle out and then pushing the door lock...better description hold the door hand on the inside like you are opening the door, while you are holding it you can lock the door...HTH

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #27
Registered Member

[QUOTE=Loserkidwac;110966]I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess you might not have owned many honda's, if so then i apologizes

I have owned several Hondas, and am aware of the design feature you mention to keep you from locking yourself out of the car (this only applies on the driver's side door). In this case, the lock buttons on both doors are broken, and this is why the doors can only be locked with the key from the outside.

The lock buttons are not available as an individual item; in order to fix the problem I will have to buy and replace both inside assemblies. I seem to recall these are about $35 each from online OEM Honda parts dealers. I'll get to it eventually...