VX Intake Questions - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-31-2008, 04:08 PM   #11
Registered Member

Plus guys we're talking about a VX, which was built for exceptional gas mileage, not performance. I would look at a Si if the performance edge is what you want.

smccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 04:32 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
Sure, I could pick up some peak hp by removing my intake and unbolting my exhaust, but that would be at the expense of power all throughout the RPM band.
I recall a test in one of the import magazines several years back where they basically ran just a small silencer right after the header. The result? Increased power throught the entire RPM range.

StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
What is a "small silencer"?

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #14
VEI
Registered Member

Quote:
Sure, I could pick up some peak hp by removing my intake and unbolting my exhaust, but that would be at the expense of power all throughout the RPM band. Typical bolt-on's only MOVE the power around. Often times it moves the peak of the power band beyond the redline.
I agree with you but ->

I'm belgian, I have a Civic VEi (D15Z1 engine).
I have bought this car because I like these Civic, but the others engine are too powerfull for a young driver as me (insurance too expensive).

So I have made some modifications to have more fun when I drive my car.
(K&N intake, D15B7 header, testpipe, D16Z6 midle pipe, Remus muffler, short gearbox).
Ofcourse my gas mileage is worse than before.
But my gas mileage is still better than other Civic (D15B2, D13B2) but with better performances.

A video of my car :

EG436 (D15Z1) 0-100km/h (3)

(Sorry for my bad english).
VEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 11:20 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
What is a "small silencer"?
By 'small silener', I mean something similar to a resonator.
StorminMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:08 PM   #16
Registered Member

VEI, I enjoyed your video. It seems to confirm what I read in the service manual, that the VX has a redline of 6300 rpm (the ECU cuts off fuel). And your English is fine.
monroe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:29 PM   #17
Registered Member

a vx in belgium is a vei ? very nice. love learning something new everyday!
jmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:55 AM   #18
VEI
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaze View Post
a vx in belgium is a vei ? very nice. love learning something new everyday!
Yes, VX in America, ETI in Japon, VEi in Europe.

http://hondacar.free.fr/range%20honda.htm
VEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 12:33 PM   #19
Registered Member

Vx, Vei

Whatever the nomenclature or where it was sold, the VX design was way ahead of it's time. People in the U.S. weren't as concerned about fuel economy in the early 1990's like they are today (other places around the world, Europe in particular, did pay attention to fuel economy). Americans are party animals; up until recently they were addicted to big vehicles and wasted fuel like there was no tomorrow-and many still do. Honda has always thought that fuel economy is important, but only now are American drivers realizing the error of their ways. It's a no brainer to state that a modern Civic VX model would sell faster than Honda could make them-and it wouldn't have to use expensive hybrid technologies (batteries, computer controls, etc.)

The irony is that none of the present non-hybrid powered Honda Civic lineup can equal the mileage that the VX attains (I get 46 mpg in mine). The Civic Hybrid comes close, but at a major price premium. Wonder if Honda is doing any research about a new VX-type car?
Old 06-16-2008, 12:56 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gork57 View Post
The irony is that none of the present non-hybrid powered Honda Civic lineup can equal the mileage that the VX attains (I get 46 mpg in mine). The Civic Hybrid comes close, but at a major price premium. Wonder if Honda is doing any research about a new VX-type car?
I'm sure they are (isn't the new version of the CRX a go for production?). The problem is that along with the CRX HF, the VX was an extremely light car (right around 2000 lb). The modern 2d civic with all of it's safety features and crumple zones is pushing 2400lbs. And the 07 Fit is 2390lb!!!

It would really need to shed a lot of weight to get the MPG back up. I don't know what the cd numbers are but the newer civic does look more aerodynamic. I really wish they would bring back a smaller version of the CRX to compete with the smart car.

opelgt73 is offline   Reply With Quote