VX leaking oil at VTEC solenoid - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

VX leaking oil at VTEC solenoid

Does anyone know if this is an easy to replace gasket at the VTEC solenoid(only 1 on the VX not 2)? My mechanic I use pointed out that the seal/gasket was allowing a good amount of oil loss over time. I tried looking on RockAuto but couldn't find anything related to the VTEC solenoid in order to find a replacement gasket and I can't quite find its location on the Majestic Honda site.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: VX leaking oil at VTEC solenoid

Okay, I believe I found it actually. I'd still be curious to know if its a simple process like I'm thinking. Just pull the solenoid off and replace the gasket I'm guessing?

Here's a link for anyone who needs to find the correct page on the Majestic site:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...R+HEAD+%282%29

Part number for the gasket is:

36172-P08-005

Old 12-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
jmf
Registered Member

I have a small oil leak that I'm trying to ignore from somewhere back there, maybe thats it. I've been thinking about pulling the intake manifold and doing some cleaning, so maybe a solenoid gasket too.

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
Registered Member

I replaced the VTEC solenoid on my '99 Si. The new solenoid I put on came with a gasket, and I did not even need to take off the intake manifold or strut-tower brace to replace it. If you are good at "feeling" the mounting hardware without being able to see it, you should be able to fit your hands back there, unless you have banana hands.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
Registered Member

Just to be safe, I'm going to replace the secondary gasket(part 13 in the picture from the HondaAuto site) in case its leaking.

I have been losing about a 1/2 quart of oil every 3k miles, but I just had a leaky VCG replaced so I'm not sure how much is leaking out at the solenoid. I would always lose some at a couple of the bolts holding on the valve cover. I'm hoping that by replacing the two gaskets at the VTEC solenoid, it will stop all oil loss that I'm having.

http://www.wonderbart.com/2009/02/in...noid-assembly/

Thanks for the tip on having the right feel. I think I can work with the space I have. I'll add my own picture below. See? All I really have to remove is the breather pipes away from the valve cover before getting to the solenoid valve. 3 bolts on top to get to the first gasket, then 3 bolts on the back of the pressure switch itself to get to the secondary gasket. The trick will be not having the EGR interfere with removal of the lower bolts from the pressure switch.

As a side note, this will be a good chance to clean the screen of any debris while the solenoid is removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vx9.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1448