VX lean burn monitor - enhanced how to desired - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #11
Junior Mint
 
dogncatboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 105
Country: United States
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
I'm in the process of getting a kit together that will do exactly that for the VX owners. I'm still amassing parts though. I'm thinking that I should be able to get a kit together and out the door this spring if things move smoothly.
I'll take one when ready.
__________________

__________________
... D'oh!
dogncatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #12
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_vxhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 49
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
I'm in the process of getting a kit together that will do exactly that for the VX owners. I'm still amassing parts though. I'm thinking that I should be able to get a kit together and out the door this spring if things move smoothly.
I'm definitely interested.

When you have a schematic drawn up would you be willing to post it? I'm interested in how the comparator LED switching circuit should be wired. I can have a electrical design engineer look it over as well if this helps you.

doug
__________________

GasSavers_vxhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 262
Country: United States
I would like to have light that tell me when the Lean Burn is on. I'm wondering why Honda didn't put one from the factory, still its a 1992 model...
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_TomO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,108
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxhatch View Post
I'm definitely interested.

When you have a schematic drawn up would you be willing to post it? I'm interested in how the comparator LED switching circuit should be wired. I can have a electrical design engineer look it over as well if this helps you.

doug
I'm just going to modify the schematic found HERE at Autospeed.

The only difference for monitoring lean burn in the VX as opposed to a regular O2 sensor is figuring out if the potentiometer needs to be changed and if the comparator IC can handle the higher voltage of the Honda LAF.

Feel free to run it by your electrical engineer and post what he says.

BTW the operational voltage signal of the L1H1 tends to be 1.1V-4.6V IIRC.
__________________

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:51 PM   #15
VX trainee
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 125
Country: United States
Heck yeah! Put me down for a kit, too...I can figure this stuff out usually, but it makes my head hurt. And I don't mind paying for convenience
4bfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:46 AM   #16
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_vxhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 49
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
BTW the operational voltage signal of the L1H1 tends to be 1.1V-4.6V IIRC.
Tom, the article in your VX links says the ECU connector pins to monitor are D14 & D16. Monitored voltage will be from -1.4 to +0.8V. Lean burn is indicated by a steady voltage above 0.4 to 0.45v. Assuming the article is correct (I haven't personally monitored the voltage), then the LED will be constantly lit in lean burn and off otherwise. I think this is better than a distracting blinking LED anyway!. I'll try n get you feedback on the "autospeed" circuit later today.

doug
GasSavers_vxhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 11:21 AM   #17
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_TomO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,108
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
^^^ when you hook up the DMM to D14 and D16 you are watching the LAF signal compared to the Reference signal, not chassis ground. You can also hook up your DMM a different way and read the entire spread of the LAF signal. In which case the voltage will always be positive and anything above the reference voltage (2.7V measured from D16 to ground IIRC) will be lean burn. That is the way that I'm intending on setting up the comparator circuit.

I'm also looking forward to your input on ways to modify/use the circuit in the LAF sensory circuit.
__________________

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:15 PM   #18
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_vxhatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 49
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
^^^ when you hook up the DMM to D14 and D16 you are watching the LAF signal compared to the Reference signal, not chassis ground. You can also hook up your DMM a different way and read the entire spread of the LAF signal. In which case the voltage will always be positive and anything above the reference voltage (2.7V measured from D16 to ground IIRC) will be lean burn. That is the way that I'm intending on setting up the comparator circuit.

I'm also looking forward to your input on ways to modify/use the circuit in the LAF sensory circuit.
Thx Tom, I also figured this out on my own by carefully reading-digesting & re-reading the original thread. I drew a schematic, based on the autospeed design and had a design engineer look it over. He said it should work fine, but there is a better way to do it. The 470 ohm resistor will be between +12v and ground in the non lean-burn state and as a result it will consume energy while performing no useful work. When in lean-burn, the output of the comparator is switched off (open-circuit) and the 470 ohm resistor serves as a voltage divider to get the LED input voltage into the proper voltage range (and brightness). Along with some schematic changes, if the comparator and LED are selected such that the comparator output current rating is capable of driving the LED on its own, the circuit may be designed to consume no energy in the LEF off state.

doug

If you like, PM me with a FAX number and I'll send you the schematics I've scratched off

PS: In the VX, the indicator will have only two states LED on and LED off, there will be no flashing mode, which I'd find annoying anyway.
GasSavers_vxhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:10 AM   #19
Registered Member
 
Danronian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 652
Country: United States
Nice. I'll have to look into this post more when I get back from work.
__________________


On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:35 AM   #20
Registered Member
 
Loserkidwac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 160
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to Loserkidwac
any updates?
__________________

__________________
MPG Noob

03 Mazdaspeed Protege
91 Honda CRX Si
95 Honda Civic VX *RIP 5/20/08
94 Honda Del Slow D15z1 Swapped
Loserkidwac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting SG2 observations. Compaq888 General Fuel Topics 8 05-06-2007 12:33 PM
U.S. Cars Show No Fuel-Efficiency Gains in 2006 MetroMPG Automotive News, Articles and Products 3 04-26-2007 12:15 PM
Annoying trying to top off tank lovemysan General Fuel Topics 14 10-27-2006 02:46 PM
d15b7 --> d15b2 swappable parts? UfoTofU General Maintenance and Repair 1 10-17-2006 02:41 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.