VX o2 Sensor - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-12-2007, 07:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to limerence
VX o2 Sensor

Hello,

Does anyone have pics of:

1) a VX engine bay and where the o2 sensor can be found?

2) picture of CA and non-CA sensors so i can see the difference?

Going to be looking at a few VX's and I want to be able to tell them apart.

Thanks!

limerence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by limerence View Post
Hello,

Does anyone have pics of:

1) a VX engine bay and where the o2 sensor can be found?

2) picture of CA and non-CA sensors so i can see the difference?

Going to be looking at a few VX's and I want to be able to tell them apart.

Thanks!
THe o2 sensor in a VX is very easy to find. If you look at the valve cover, directly in front of that on top of the exhaust manifold is where the o2 sensor is installed.

If the car has a 5-wire 02 sensor (count the wires) it is a wideband and probably a non-CA car w/lean-burn. If the sensor has 4 or 1 wire(s), it's a narrowband sensor, and the car doesn't have lean-burn.

This being said, it's possible an owner could have installed a narrow-band in a non-CA car and just unplugged the bulb for the check engine light. Same thing could happen if someone installed a wideband in a narrowband car.

There is also codes on the ECU that tell you if it's a lean-burn ecu or not. Can't help you on those though since I don't know the difference in the ECU codes.

GL on the search for a VX.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks Dan.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance but how involved is it to make a CA VX the same as non CA VX other than the o2 sensor?

Thanks,
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danronian View Post
THe o2 sensor in a VX is very easy to find. If you look at the valve cover, directly in front of that on top of the exhaust manifold is where the o2 sensor is installed.

If the car has a 5-wire 02 sensor (count the wires) it is a wideband and probably a non-CA car w/lean-burn. If the sensor has 4 or 1 wire(s), it's a narrowband sensor, and the car doesn't have lean-burn.

This being said, it's possible an owner could have installed a narrow-band in a non-CA car and just unplugged the bulb for the check engine light. Same thing could happen if someone installed a wideband in a narrowband car.

There is also codes on the ECU that tell you if it's a lean-burn ecu or not. Can't help you on those though since I don't know the difference in the ECU codes.

GL on the search for a VX.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:11 AM   #4
Registered Member

It is a bit costly, PIA, but very doable. If your looking for a car and you really want it to have lean burn, you'd be a lot better off to get one with it already on.

If you want to do it, it would require a new 5 wire sensor, which is about $350, it would require a lean burn ecu, it would require a bit of rewiring, to change the wiring to utilize the 5 wire sensor and then their are some ancillary additional changes to make.

If you can purchase on which is already set up, it is worth a little more, just to get one which has the right items already installed.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:38 PM   #5
Registered Member

Got it. Thank you much for the help guys.

-John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer View Post
It is a bit costly, PIA, but very doable. If your looking for a car and you really want it to have lean burn, you'd be a lot better off to get one with it already on.

If you want to do it, it would require a new 5 wire sensor, which is about $350, it would require a lean burn ecu, it would require a bit of rewiring, to change the wiring to utilize the 5 wire sensor and then their are some ancillary additional changes to make.

If you can purchase on which is already set up, it is worth a little more, just to get one which has the right items already installed.