vx spring questions - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-25-2009, 03:48 AM   #1
jmf
Registered Member

vx spring questions

I would like to replace my rear springs on a 93 vx. I haul alot of tools/wood for work and would like to get a heavy duty spring but I don't want to jack up the rear. Maybe just new ones would be alot better than 15year old anyway. Does anyone know if the 4dr civics had the same springs as the vx?

thanks
justin

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
Registered Member

You should be careful about carrying too much weight with your VX.

I detonated one of the cylinders in my first VX by loading it with too much stuff when moving from Illinois to Michigan It wasn't the same after - mpg dropped to 35 and it did not have the same power as before. I never checked the compression or leak down - I sold it instead of trying to repair or replace the engine.

jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:09 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziasman View Post
I detonated one of the cylinders in my first VX by loading it with too much stuff
Old 05-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #4
jmf
Registered Member

I thought I would wreck the clutch first.

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Using the rear springs from a four door might work without raising your ride height.

As far as overloading a VX...I've hauled 800 lbs. of lumber (along with a passenger), 500 lbs of dirt, and 850 lbs. of landscaping bricks without any troubles. I guess I consider myself lucky.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:58 AM   #6
Registered Member

I don't think it's possible to destroy an engine by carrying too much weight. If one were to put it under an unreasonable load for an extended time, I could see it overheating, but that engine should not experience any detonation unless it is really passing a lot of oil in the combustion chambers. A tank of sub 87 octane rating fuel would be the exception.

OE replacement aftermarket springs would probably be the only way to stiffen the ride without changing the ride height too much. I believe a spring off of a heavier honda would raise it.

Seeing the doors misalign while jacking is enough proof for me that the chassis can't handle too much.
greasemonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:15 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkee View Post
Seeing the doors misalign while jacking is enough proof for me that the chassis can't handle too much.
Once again, let me say:

Anyway, what about two-stage/helper springs? On a truck that's the answer to not raising height while adding capacity. It would either require some custom hacking for the VX to have a helper spring, or find a two-stage coil spring (perhaps from a sport spring supplier) with a little bit of travel that's soft and the rest being stiffer.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:32 AM   #8
Registered Member

I've loaded my civic with many other Honda motors before, and besides a slightly dented trunk floor, it handled it just fine. A new clutch might help though.

On my civic, it is lowered, and the higher-than-stock spring rates help it handle decently and not bottom out even with a lot of extra weight in it. I've gone with Ground Control coilovers. You can raise them up to factory height as well. If you went with some stiffer springs threw that route, it would help. If you want to go factory, The integra has the same rear suspension components as the VX but has stiffer springs. It will probably be a bit taller though once installed. You can compensate by cutting off a little probably, though I don't have experience with cutting factory Honda springs.

Another route you could take if you want to use stiffer OEM springs, to compensate for the added height they will give the car, is to install struts with adjustable perches. The Koni Sport struts I have allow you to raise or lower the height of the perch for the OEM style springs.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote