What are OEM spark plug wires for the VX? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-31-2010, 11:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

What are OEM spark plug wires for the VX?

I was led to believe it was the NGK HE76 but have also seen people saying that they were Sumitomo.

If they are Sumitomo, what is the part number and where can I buy them? Honda dealer only?

XenuVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:30 PM   #2
Registered Member

"Spark plugs and wires:

The VX uses NGK V-Power Spark Plugs No. ZFR4F-11

Spark plug wires from the dealer are best and worth the money. If you do buy spark plug wires from an auto store, buy them for an Si model of the same year. This ensures that you get the proper fitting plug wires since some auto stores have the wrong part number in their system for the VX spark plug wires."

Its from a post by Tomo, try the search engine too next time.

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIBI View Post
"Spark plugs and wires:

The VX uses NGK V-Power Spark Plugs No. ZFR4F-11

Spark plug wires from the dealer are best and worth the money. If you do buy spark plug wires from an auto store, buy them for an Si model of the same year. This ensures that you get the proper fitting plug wires since some auto stores have the wrong part number in their system for the VX spark plug wires."

Its from a post by Tomo, try the search engine too next time.
I used the search and I saw that post which is how I found the correct spark plugs, but it doesn't actually answer my question about the wires. If I went to the dealer and bought plug wires would they give me NGK or Sumitomo wires?

I have Sumitomo wires from 1992 on there. Makes me think that they are the factory wires. I am just looking for a confirmation on that and I am curious if anyone knows where I can get them besides the dealer?
Old 05-31-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Registered Member

i did a search for my accord and came up w/ prestolite. they're available at car quest or here...http://rockauto.com/ the dealer price for the same wires is ridiculous of course.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
Site Team / Moderator

Even if its the same brand, make sure that the part number is the same if you purchase it from any other source other than the dealer. I have found a noticeable difference in AC Delco plug wires purchased at the dealer, and AC Delco wires purchased at a discount parts house. They must have a secondary product line for sale to retailers.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #6
Registered Member

I had to shell out $80 to a mechanic working on my VX for original Honda wires because nothing from AutoZone worked. Lol. Worth it after all of the hassle of trying the different plug wires that wouldn't fit. On top of that, I was down to the 'wire', no pun intended, for emissions to pass and to get the new tag.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
Registered Member

I have tried to use Autozone ones before and they did not fit right... Ended up just modifying the ones I had from a different year (different sealing boots) and they worked, fit better, and still sealed correctly.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #8
Registered Member

I ended up getting the NGK wires and they fit just fine. I would have preferred to go OEM with the Sumitomo wires but you can only get them from the dealer and they would have been 2-3 times more expensive than the NGK's which I got off of Amazon for $46.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
Registered Member

Ok, very good. I may go with them next time instead. Anyone know the life expectancy w/ the originals? I just got a new bundle of 4.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by add|ct View Post
Ok, very good. I may go with them next time instead. Anyone know the life expectancy w/ the originals? I just got a new bundle of 4.
I replaced my originals because they were 18 years old but I really didn't notice any difference after replacing them. That makes me think they were still fine after all that time.

I am thinking if you have four sets of the Sumitomos you are probably set for most of this century.