What kind of car protection do you have that prevents getting your car stolen? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2006, 10:30 PM   #1
Registered Member

What kind of car protection do you have that prevents getting your car stolen?

I was thinking of getting the Autolock and placing that on my clutch. Without the clutch being depressed the car won't start.

I currently have an alarm with ignition disable.

-What do you currently have that prevents others from stealing your car???

-And what are your future plans to install something that prevents your car from getting stolen?

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:24 AM   #2
Registered Member

With alarms for cars its best to start by working out what is reason that someone would want to break into the car in the first place and choose and suitable alarm for that level of risk.
Alarms can cost big money , and a $500 alarm probably is a bit of overkill for a $150 '78 Nissan.

If you have an exotic car like a Porsche , then most probably a break in is so they can take the car complete.
Guys that target cars like this (as a job) require the best alarm ,but even then they still get cars.
(but its not as easy as the film ?gone in 60 seconds? makes it out to be)

But on a real cheap car , perhaps a break in is so they can get car hi-fi or other goods and they dont even want to take the car.

So , yeah , choose a suitable alarm to suit the thief.

One of my old bangers was getting broken into every weekend.
So I made up a kit alarm that would go off after 5 seconds the interior light came on.
It had no sirens outside the car , but had 2 X 120dB sirens inside the car., one of which was under the dash (protectiing the wiring and alarm).
It was simply impossible to be inside the car when it was going off.(and completely insane if you tried to look up under the dash)

This alarm was dirt cheap but highly effective.

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:49 AM   #3
Tuggin at the surly bonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegammyleg
This alarm was dirt cheap but highly effective.
Nice!
Old 09-26-2006, 03:22 AM   #4
*shrug*

I don't have anything that prevents my car from being stolen on it.

Also, my car starts without the clutch being depressed, it's a very simple thing to do, but the point of a clutch lock is that you can't move the car easily even if you do get it stolen. People seem to swear by them.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:34 AM   #5
Registered Member

my car sits outside unlocked.

The onlytime I lock it is when i have something valuble inside (like my college textbooks) or if I park in a very scketchy area.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:36 AM   #6

Uglyness. Seriously, my car is a hideous heap, and I feel sorry for anyone that has a desire to steal it. Not to mention that once they get it running, they're going to be trying to pull of and feel the drag of the HF gearing...they'd probably jump out after that and steal the car next to mine.

For a cheap way of protecting a car at home, I have heard of people buying the "as-seen-on-tv" Driveway Patrol motion detector system and put the sensor in their front seat. The chimes you keep in your room, and if anyone (or anything) is picked up by the motion detector (someone peeking in the window trying to figure out how to get in), the chimes go off and wake you up. I think it's only like $19.99.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 06:50 AM   #7
Driving on E

A clutch lock will just make it more difficult for someone to steal the car, not stop them.

If they want to start the car they can just cut the wires leading to the clutch sensor and then connect them manually. If they really want to move the car they can just disconnect the cable leading to the clutch master cylinder and then add an extension and move it by hand.

That's also assuming they want the car or the engine, which I don't think they would since you don've have a giant engine or anything. Perhaps if you had an EX or an SI they would.

They will most likely go for your stereo and amp, which will take them all of 2 minutes to get.

But then again I've never had a car broken into before. I also have the best home security system known to man:

They'll scare anyone away.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 09:47 AM   #8
Registered Member

21-year old factory original paint is my deterrent. Also, not a lot of interior is left so if they want my $20 pioneer mids that are attached to the rear fenderwells by magnetism alone, then by all means. My trick is I've already stolen most of what's inside, so all they get left with is bargain CD player and a non-stock shift knob.

In the future, because I want a modest 10" woofer in the back, will be a full tint job to keep out prying eyes, a stock-looking shelf to hide it (pseudo-false floor-ish), and to keep the car in the same spot I parked it I'll install a custom tamper-proof kill switch located somewhere other than the dash (underneath seat or in the door, etc) Mak

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 10:11 AM   #9
Registered Member

?I want a modest 10" woofer in the back, will be a full tint job to keep out prying eyes, a stock-looking shelf to hide it?

My 12inch is about to go into my Swift (Metro clone).
The speaker box it rather largish and its real solid (read - heavy)
Unless they get my rear hatch open I am thinking its an impossiblity to remove it from the car.
So my plan is to use another lock mechanism on the hatch with a remote solenoid and hidden switch.
Unless they use dynamite it wont open. , and if they do use dynamite thay can have it
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 01:12 PM   #10
Registered Member

Full insurance coverage baby!

I hope someone steals that POS so I can buy something newer. lol

Seriously though. I don't have more than a few grand into it, if someone is hard up enough to steal it, they must need it more than I do.

LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote