What synthetic oil are you using???? And HoW oFtEn YoU cHaNgE iT? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-08-2007, 05:44 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
maybe therez wizdom on it at bobistheoilguy
Definitely!

For those who have balked at using synthetic because of the cost, scan their rebate forum for deals ranging from free to only a buck or two per quart. For example, until Halloween you can get Valvoline Synpower for $1.50/qt. after rebate, and both DuraBlend and Max-Life for $1.00/qt. after rebate.

Dynamically Aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:14 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
I am going for 150,000 on Synlube with a filter change at 36,000 and 75,000 miles. So far I have 17,370 with the first and only oil change at 3700 miles. It really depends upon how you drive - get the oil warmed up well and not over heated and all oils will last a lot longer.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:19 AM   #13
Registered Member

I have used both Amzoil and Mobil 1 (in different vehicles) and change it annually. But I don't drive a lot of miles, maybe 4 or 5k on the 4cyl Ranger pu, and 10k on the Metro. I also change filter and add a bit of oil at 3k miles. I would probably use synthetic just because of the easier winter start up--makes a noticable difference in the ease and speed of engine turn-over in below zero weather compared to dino oil.

I am using it because I think (hope?) it will give longer engine life, not necessarily that it will save me money because of longer oil change intervals.
WisJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:55 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I use Amsoil 0W30 in the engine, and a 10 micron filter that has about twice the filter area of the stock oil filter.
I tend to change my oil about once a year (12,000-15,000 miles) and add about a quart of oil in that year most owners manuals I've read say burning a quart every 7,000 miles is acceptable, the amsoil I use warenties agenst engine damage due to their product for 25,000 mile or one year oil change, so I go with the one year and so far it hasn't caused any problems.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #15
Registered Member

an independent study(sorry, no link) compared ALL major motor oil brands(syn and dino) and found that amsoil had the highest flash(boil?) point and lowest pour (freeze) point of ANY oil in EVERY grade.

if you want detailed comparison of dino vs syn or amsoil vs other syn oil go to magicmechanic.com and ask larry.

I do NOT sell amsoil!
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:49 PM   #16
FE nut

I DON'T sell Amsoil either but I am currently running it in my '07 Prius. I have ~6500 miles on it and it still looks pretty good. I'll probably change it at 10 or 15K. I also have one of their filters that they rate at 30K or so.

2007 Prius,

Team Slow Burn
diamondlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to trebuchet03
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
an independent study(sorry, no link) compared ALL major motor oil brands(syn and dino) and found that amsoil had the highest flash(boil?) point and lowest pour (freeze) point of ANY oil in EVERY grade.

if you want detailed comparison of dino vs syn or amsoil vs other syn oil go to magicmechanic.com and ask larry.

I do NOT sell amsoil!
Here's a non Independent link on that subject
http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-chang...g-competitors/

But, that's more marketing than anything else. Virgin oil isn't what we're concerned with (I mean, that evidence shows all of those oils to be within the tolerance required and the tolerance that our engines were designed by). The big deal is what happens 10K miles down the road

Here's an independent study on AMS and Mobile 1.... But what I can't seem to find is if they are using Amsoil PAO or not...

amsoil - 12K miles
mobile 1 - 18K miles

Bike Miles (Begin Aug. 20 - '07): ~433.2 miles

11/12
trebuchet03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebuchet03 View Post
Here's a non Independent link on that subject
http://www.synthetic-motor-oil-chang...g-competitors/

But, that's more marketing than anything else. Virgin oil isn't what we're concerned with (I mean, that evidence shows all of those oils to be within the tolerance required and the tolerance that our engines were designed by). The big deal is what happens 10K miles down the road

Here's an independent study on AMS and Mobile 1.... But what I can't seem to find is if they are using Amsoil PAO or not...

amsoil - 12K miles
mobile 1 - 18K miles
didn't know amsoil made motor oil that wasn't PAO based. good links Treb!

curious tho that on the amsoil link that mobile1 did not score 2nd best across the board.

amsoil 0w 30(series 2000) claims to last 35k miles. change mine once/yr(10-12k), and filter change @ 6 mos.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 04:06 PM   #19
Registered Member

I use Mobil1 5w30 on my both car.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #20
Registered Member

lol i just use castrol GTX in my cars. i can usualyl find a sale on it for a good price. in my chevette its strange because if i DONT use the gtx high mileage it leaks a bit of oil, but if i do, it doesnt leak a drop....

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote