What's the best shocks for a 4x4? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #11
Site Team / Moderator

Well, this is what I've done. Bilstein made the OE equipment shocks for the truck. The GMC dealer wants $1,500. From the Bilstein website they had a 25% off promotion, with links to participating online retailers.

There are 2 different types listed for vehicles at the stock height. One was listed as "Heavy Duty", and the other is listed as "Comfort". I ordered 4 "Comfort" rated shocks for about $260 online. I'll ask my local mechanic how much installation might run. If its reasonable I'll pay him to do it, or else I'll crawl under there myself. I haven't done shocks myself since my 74 Chevy, but I can manage for a savings of over $1,200.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:28 PM   #12
Registered Member

Oh heck yah, now you're talking! You can do that yourself.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #13
Site Team / Moderator

Oh, one thing I should note, Bilstein shocks come with a lifetime warranty when purchased as aftermarket replacements. I'll never have to buy shocks for it again. I figure I'll get at least one free set out of it.

Old 09-24-2009, 12:08 PM   #14
Registered Member

Those Bilstein shocks for the Z71 are good for close to 100k miles when theres no offroad abuse. Best bang for the buck shock out there is the KYB gas-a-just. I used those on my old '97 2wd Silverado and absolutly loved the ride quality! It was a firm, road planting ride, that was still soft and comfortable. On my current '94 S10 Blazer, the previous owner installed Edelbrock shocks. These Edelbrocks are extremly harsh, and get worse when the weather gets cold. I tend to feel every crack in the road!
CHVYPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:39 PM   #15
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

I've been happy with the Bilsteins. The ones we took off the truck were factory original. 11 years old, 164,000 miles. I was scared if I didn't buy the factory original shocks that I would not be happy with the ride quality.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #16
Registered Member

I read a while back that when NASCAR cars went to Bilsteins they dropped the spring rates 25%.

I think they are the best shocks available, but price certainly is a negative factor. I doubt you will find a cheaper alternative, that is not a compromise.

regards
gary
Old 09-24-2009, 08:06 PM   #17
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Oh, one thing I should note, Bilstein shocks come with a lifetime warranty when purchased as aftermarket replacements. I'll never have to buy shocks for it again. I figure I'll get at least one free set out of it.
I'll have to remember that. My car spends a few hours a week off-road and while the Monroe's I put on there are holding up okay they get REALLY hot so I don't think they will be lasting long.

Me and 4 others with gear and/or bikes is a lot of weight to throw around.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:51 PM   #18
Site Team / Moderator

It really wasn't expensive. Sears quoted me $600 for Rancho brand shocks. The dealer quoted me $1,500 for the OE Bilsteins. From www.Bilstein.com I noticed that they were having a 25% off sale on many shock models, with links to participating online retailers. I bought all 4 OE "Comfort" rated shocks for $250. I took it to my brother in law's house to change them because he had air tools in his garage. We had all 4 shocks replaced in less than an hour. I then took his entire family out to lunch for his assistance. I spent just under $100 in the restaurant, so everything was done for about $350.

The original shocks weren't all that bad. They had lost some resistance with age, as they were much easier to compress than the new ones, but only 1 had completely failed. The front left shock would not decompress until about 5 seconds after it was compressed.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #19
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
I'll have to remember that. My car spends a few hours a week off-road and while the Monroe's I put on there are holding up okay they get REALLY hot so I don't think they will be lasting long.

Me and 4 others with gear and/or bikes is a lot of weight to throw around.
http://www.allshocks.com/bilstein/html/show_shocks.asp?make='DODGE'&model='Durango'&year= '1999'

Looks like you can get the shocks for $70.95/ea so that brings it to $283.80. Free shipping on orders over $250, so you'll have the parts for under $300. If you don't think the Monroes are going to last long, why not get the Bilsteins now while on sale, and set them on a shelf in the garage? (Allshocks.com is where I bought my shocks.)

-Jay

Old 09-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #20
Registered Member

Drat- no comfort shocks for my vehicle. Price on the Heavy Dutys was good but that probably doesn't go far enough towards my goal of restoring factory ride to be worth it.

F150:
New EPA12/14/17

theclencher is offline   Reply With Quote