When to do tune-up? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-10-2009, 01:13 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
I know they say plugs are good to 100k miles but I'll be honest, every 100k mile plug I've seen pulled from an engine only barely made it to that number. I'd highly recommend changing the plugs before that time.

Not only do modern cars need a tune up but they have items on there you can't just do yourself. You can't just rebuilt a set of fuel injectors like you used to be able to do with carbs, they need flushed and flow matched. But, some maintenance depends on how the car is driven on a new car. Frequent short trips lead to needing fuel system work on an EFI vehicle but long daily trips or frequent highway trips usually mean you won't get the wax buildup that causes a need for injector cleaning.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #12
Site Team / Moderator

I'm sorry, but with the new speed sensitive power steering and antilock brakes both those fluids needs to be flushed, at least every 100,000 miles. My mother had problems with her old 97 Century wagon with antilock brakes. She had to put new pressure sensors in it because the brake fluid wasn't flushed before.

When I took my truck in for the 150,000 mile service last spring I made sure absolutely every fluid was flushed and filled. (With the exception of the washer fluid tank, LOL)

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #13
Registered Member

Vette Guy is wrong!
Na, na, na. Just funn'in here.

Differentials, transmissions, steering resivoirs, gas tanks, engines and brake systems, even cooling systems...all have openings to outside air.

And air has in it the number one Greenhouse Gas, the one not included in the Global Warming/Climate Change theories we are all in a panic about...Whddah!

And water, being heavier than oil, sinks to the lowest point of any system, which is why old brake cylinders and caliper pistons have rust in them.
623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #14
Registered Member

yea they have vents but its not like engine oil thats getting extreme heat and carbon blasted in it.

trannies i can understand especially automatics but manuals i change those every 80-100K miles since its just used for lube.

ive never had a bad fluid related steering problem... ive had leaky PS pumps that go low and cause a heck of a noise. even in old cars ive never changed it.

old brake cylinders and the like rust because of outside air, yea they get some in the lines but majority is from outside moisture and condensation.

yea i agree that changeing them at 100K is a good idea but deffinately not every year, thats just a waste IMO
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:00 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to jeep45238
I must be OCD. I change my tranny fluid once a year (royal purple ATF) in my stick shift.

Engine oil + filter every 4000 miles (royal purple and K&N filter).

Spark plugs are copper core NGK's - replaced at the same time (factory plugs - do NOT waiver from the factory recommendations or go for fancy multiple prong crap unless the manual says you need to).

Spark plug wires get replaced at the same time.

Brake fluid flushed once a year.

Coolant hoses, replaced once every 2 years.

Serp belt and tensioner - replaced every 2 years.

Brake pads, hydraulics, and rotors - checked during oil changes, replaced every 2 years.

Parking brake cables - adjusted as needed every oil change.

Thermostat - replaced once a year.

Fuel filter - replaced every 2 years.

Power steering fuid - flushed every 2 years.

Suspension, drivetrain, mounts - inspected every oil change, replaced as needed.

Sensors and modules replaced when they are on the outer limits of service specifications.

Yes, a lot of good parts are taken off and replaced with new (lifetime warranties are great - especially when "customer satisfaction" is a valid reason for a return). But, very, very rarely does a common maintenance issue put my car out of commission. I've never had a stuck thermostate, brake hydraulic, broken belt, weak tensioner, etc. for a reason.

jeep45238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:51 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to dkjones96
Wow, you do get rid of a lot of good parts.

In 7 years and over 200k miles of driving not a single one of those things have ever left me stranded. Only an alternator failure has ever left me stranded with no option but to wait until the ordered part came in.

If you regularly inspect things and know what to look for you are usually okay. I check my oils once a month usually, the Durango was getting checked much more often because I didn't know it yet but now it'll go down to one check per month. If you know your car checking everything every time you get gas is just overkill. In fact I don't do much more than just check the level of coolant and brake fluid most of the year. Once or twice a year I actually look at the quality of it but I know where my car has been and how it is driven.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:51 AM   #17
Site Team / Moderator

Seems a tad bit excessive to me, but if you can afford it, and you have the time to do all that then go for it.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:22 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
I must be OCD. I change my tranny fluid once a year (royal purple ATF) in my stick shift.

Engine oil + filter every 4000 miles (royal purple and K&N filter).
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjones96 View Post
Wow, you do get rid of a lot of good parts.
Yea how about you give me your Royal Purple left overs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
Brake fluid flushed once a year.
This is the only thing that I think is not excessive. My father's friend has this philosophy. He runs his cars to the ground and has never had to replace a brake caliper. It's good preventative maintenance.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:53 AM   #19
Site Team / Moderator

Here's my total breakdown:

Every fuel stop:

Fill tank, reset trip meter & Scangauge, Check oil, tranny, PS, brake, and washer fluids. Visually inspect tires for signs of overinflation/underinflation/damage/abnormal wear.

And yes, I do go through all that when I get fuel. I usually spend 30-40 minutes at the station.

Every 5,000 miles(or 1 year if under 5k driven in a year):

Oil change (Mobil1)/filter/grease chassis, check ALL fluids. Rotate tires. Check tire pressue with a gauge, even if they look ok. Load test battery and alternator. Check all lights. Inspect wiper blades.

Every year:
Virginia state safety inspection.

Every 2 years:

Va state Emissions inspection. Tranny fluid flush, change differential & transfer case fluids. Brake and power steering flush. New air & fuel filters.

100,000 miles:

New OEM plugs wires, cap & rotor.

10 years/150,000 miles:

Radiator flush, refill with coolant/distilled water.

I think I got everything...

-Jay

Old 02-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #20
Registered Member

I can see how you could spend that long....if you had my Tundra. It has no transmission dipstick.

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote