Why no car waste baskets? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

Why no car waste baskets?

Since I have a new car for the first time I've been more fastidious about keeping it clean and noticed a glaring need for a waste basket! I used to keep a bag in my old cars, but it's more than a little unsightly. One right in the center of mine would be ideal, especially if I'd kept the rear seats in so all four seats could access it. No wonder we have so much roadside litter (pet peeve). So why do you think cars don't have them? And does anyone know of any models that did?

In my car I just put a kitchen garbage bag in the glove compartment as a liner and use it for trash. Organic stuff that will rot never goes in there. I want to make a plastic insert for it eventually so it can be emptied more easily, but I'm not entirely sure how to fabricate it. In case you're wondering, I moved my manuals and papers to a small drawer that's at the base of the central console and also to the door pockets.

Main Entry: co de pen dence - see codependency
co de pen den cy
Pronunciation: \kō-di-ˈpen-dən(t)-sē\
Function: noun
Date: 1979

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
GasSavers_maximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Registered Member

Found a couple aftermarket ones, but they wouldn't be especially integrated.

co de pen den cy

: a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin) ; broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another
Old 04-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
Site Team / Moderator

In the old days we used to get these special plastic bags that you hung on the radio knob, but now days radios don't have knobs. I have seen some small wastebaskets designed to rest on the transmission hump, but then again many cars have consoles, or are FWD so they don't have the transmission hump... As bad as this sounds I usually toss my trash in the backseat, and then collect it at the end of the day.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #4
Registered Member

Well, that IS a wastebasket of sorts, and a very large one! I sure hope you don't forget and do that when you've got passengers back there.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
In the old days we used to get these special plastic bags that you hung on the radio knob, but now days radios don't have knobs. I have seen some small wastebaskets designed to rest on the transmission hump, but then again many cars have consoles, or are FWD so they don't have the transmission hump... As bad as this sounds I usually toss my trash in the backseat, and then collect it at the end of the day.

-Jay
LOL i remember those wastebaskets that just stick to the hump. all our cars when i was little had them. also the can holders that clip in the windows

i havent seen those can holders(actually need one) or the wastebaskets in years...

fyi we also had the wood bead seat covers

so yea for now i just throw crap in the back of the chevette seats, the s-10 passenger floor/behind seat. OR the bed
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The can holders that hook over the windowsill are alive and well at WalMart, and hooked onto my Buick.

In my GMC, which is very roomy, I hang a plastic shopping bag from the ash tray.

In my VW, I've got a small velcro-strapped trash bag that came with an accessory set. I strapped it to the inside of the center armrest (just past the hinge) and it hangs down in the backseat over the non-transmission hump.

However, you could certainly use the center console cubby commonly found under an armrest as a nice lid-equipped trash can. I'd just put a bag in it rather than try to fabricate a hard plastic liner, which would be difficult to do without wasting space.

I bet there's a product out there shaped like a large fast food drink cup that's made to be a trash can. If not, that one would be easy to make.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
Registered Member

We still get those can holders over here in Norway, but just cheap plastic ones.

I have been wondering about a "garbage can" in cars too, but for now, I just use the wifes seat...
rust collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #8
Registered Member

It's weird that no cars apparently have one built in. Seems kinda obvious. Other than my glove box I don't have anything the right size / shape, but it'll do.

co de pen den cy

Old 04-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
Site Team / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilian View Post
Well, that IS a wastebasket of sorts, and a very large one! I sure hope you don't forget and do that when you've got passengers back there.
I rarely have back seat passengers...

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
Registered Member

Examined my glove box and the way it's put together if I had a removable liner it wouldn't clear the dash. Not so removable. I'm just going to line it with drawer liner so it won't get stained. I put a very small kitchen bag in there in case I want to chuck something nasty, but since it's usually paper or a soda bottle I'll just chuck it in there normally.

co de pen den cy