'89 CRX HF + D15Z1 troubleshooting... - Page 7 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2009, 11:47 PM   #61
Registered Member

110 miles and counting, no 'new' problems, just the persistent one. Quick Q, what would cause the upshift green arrow to spas out sometimes and flicker when accelerating kinda slow before deciding to say "yes, please shift" w/ a solid green light? Vac issues? Checked the EGR diaphragm, it moves easily enough, next up, full wiring reverse engineering (make sure what goes where is correct, as the old EGR 3-pin still has a current...hmmm) Mak

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #62
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakDiesel View Post
Quick Q, what would cause the upshift green arrow to spas out sometimes and flicker when accelerating kinda slow before deciding to say "yes, please shift" w/ a solid green light?
It's entirely up to the ECU to decide when to light the upshift indicator. There is a circuit board on the back of the gauge cluster that does the grunt work of actually applying power to the bulb and dimming it when the headlights are on, but it's a dumb circuit - it just responds to on/off signals from the ECU and parking lights.
If the light is behaving erratically, I would check the wiring between the ECU and gauge cluster connectors, and the connections on the back of the gauge cluster it self. If everything checks out in that respect, I would check the power supply and ground to the gauge cluster and ECU, then the possibility of a bad ECU.

GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #63
Registered Member

Quote:
I remember the Rywire instructions mentioning an upshift light connection w/ the supplied pigtail, I'll just have to track down the original HF one (if it has one, not sure off hand) or rig an LED somewhere.
I would really like a V tech light in mine, what wire is safe to tap a LED into?
mcamodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #64
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcamodell View Post
I would really like a V tech light in mine
What... like this?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:40 AM   #65
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
What... like this?
Um, no
mcamodell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #66
Registered Member

more news of the weird...The car recently started having a pronounced misfire when cold followed by rough running, light looping, warm idle so I hit the wiring harness for answers (Still no acceleration or light pedal cruise problems btw). After transcribing all of the OBD-0 wires under the dash that connect into my rywire harness and isolating the main sensor ones (TPS, MAP, EGR, O2, etc), I'm suspicious of my EGR wires when compared to HELMS. The power is still 5v, but the middle wire (can't remember color off hand) isn't the factory 1.2v w/ no vacuum, it's 0v w/ key power (Run) but no engine start....anyway, after simply handling the bundle, ECU, etc I start the car and virtually all my previous problems don't exist! No misfire at cold idle, no rough warm idle, no buck/jerk, not much rev hang in neutral... go figure... so I may have a short somewhere or a fickle EGR/sensor issue...260 miles in, she rides smooth, for now...Mak

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:55 PM   #67
Registered Member

Quote:
more news of the weird...The car recently started having a pronounced misfire when cold followed by rough running, light looping, warm idle so I hit the wiring harness for answers (Still no acceleration or light pedal cruise problems btw). After transcribing all of the OBD-0 wires under the dash that connect into my rywire harness and isolating the main sensor ones (TPS, MAP, EGR, O2, etc), I'm suspicious of my EGR wires when compared to HELMS. The power is still 5v, but the middle wire (can't remember color off hand) isn't the factory 1.2v w/ no vacuum, it's 0v w/ key power (Run) but no engine start....anyway, after simply handling the bundle, ECU, etc I start the car and virtually all my previous problems don't exist! No misfire at cold idle, no rough warm idle, no buck/jerk, not much rev hang in neutral... go figure... so I may have a short somewhere or a fickle EGR/sensor issue...260 miles in, she rides smooth, for now...Mak
Get the honda service manual, the helms manuals are absolutely useless. You can download the honda service manual online and will be far more detailed than the crap helms manuals you and I can get for $20.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:09 PM   #68
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
Get the honda service manual, the helms manuals are absolutely useless.
The Helm's manual IS the Honda service manual, smart guy.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #69
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
The Helm's manual IS the Honda service manual, smart guy.
I guess I confused it with the like of a chilton manual. As for the helms, I just call that the OEM service manual, but I guess Helm's is easier to say. Btw I thought I should mention that the idea to put a roll cage in your civic is a very BAD idea unless you plan on driving around with a helmet b/c that cage will cave in your skull w/o a helmet, even with padding on the cage.
imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #70
Registered Member

Chilton and Haynes write their own service manuals... Helm, Inc. reprints factory service manuals.

Who said anything about a roll cage?