94 Civic VX - Not great MPG - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #41
Registered Member

Re: 94 Civic VX - Not great MPG

^Curious, is your PCV valve located at the breather chamber underneath the IM or is it mounted directly into the IM between the runners for cylinder 1 and 2?

Old 08-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #42
Registered Member

Checked the MPG. I'm at 41.5 right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by add|ct View Post
^Curious, is your PCV valve located at the breather chamber underneath the IM or is it mounted directly into the IM between the runners for cylinder 1 and 2?
The latter.

paulhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #43
Registered Member

Interesting, what is at the breather chamber from underneath the PCV valve location that you have, pray tell?

I'm of the belief that 92 and 93 VX(depending?) perhaps have the valve at the breather chamber and only the hollow 90* elbow where you have your PCV valve located.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:35 AM   #44
Registered Member

Quote:
Interesting, what is at the breather chamber from underneath the PCV valve location that you have, pray tell?

I'm of the belief that 92 and 93 VX(depending?) perhaps have the valve at the breather chamber and only the hollow 90* elbow where you have your PCV valve located.
My valve is inside of the 90 degree elbow. When you pull it off the grommet, there is a tiny spring-loaded plunger inside it.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #45
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhale View Post
My valve is inside of the 90 degree elbow. When you pull it off the grommet, there is a tiny spring-loaded plunger inside it.
Hey, when you do your next oil change, do you mind pulling the breather chamber that the leads up to your PCV valve off? It can be removed with 1 bolt I believe and it's supposed to have some sort of 'baffle' system to keep actual oil inside the car and venting of fumes only escaping out via the PCV system back to the intake manifold and re-ingested/slowly recycled out of the exhaust.

I haven't pulled mine yet, but judging from the crud from the PCV valve on the VX models(like mine has) that have the valve seated right into this chamber location, it probably needs a good cleaning.

I'm going to change my oil filter mid Oil Change Interval(my current one) and while it's off it's easy to remove the chamber. Someone else on here asked me to do it myself before, but didn't at my last oil change. I'm actually wondering now if it's crud-filled and would affect running out the oil change to 7,500+ etc.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #46
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey, when you do your next oil change, do you mind pulling the breather chamber that the leads up to your PCV valve off? It can be removed with 1 bolt I believe and it's supposed to have some sort of 'baffle' system to keep actual oil inside the car and venting of fumes only escaping out via the PCV system back to the intake manifold and re-ingested/slowly recycled out of the exhaust.

I haven't pulled mine yet, but judging from the crud from the PCV valve on the VX models(like mine has) that have the valve seated right into this chamber location, it probably needs a good cleaning.

I'm going to change my oil filter mid Oil Change Interval(my current one) and while it's off it's easy to remove the chamber. Someone else on here asked me to do it myself before, but didn't at my last oil change. I'm actually wondering now if it's crud-filled and would affect running out the oil change to 7,500+ etc.
I just did an oil change, so it would be a while.