A noob's adventures in old technology - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.D.E. View Post
Sorry HC, but this thread is almost as funny as my granddaughters fascination with the crank up windows in my car . Drove 5 miles down the road with her winding the window up-down-up-down-up-down.

regards
Gary
Can you even GET cars with crank windows anymore?

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 12:43 PM   #32
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
To be honest, I'm not a fan of old engine and transmission technology. I know that some people are, but I really like the electronic systems in modern cars, partly because they're more compatible with my abilities and partly because they really produce great results.

What I like is the rest of the old car. You cannot get 1980 Buick comfort in a 2010 model at all. Nor can you get the driving experience of watching an incredibly long hood in front of you. Also, the trunk space would be nice if I do make the car into a viable daily driver. Another thing: The controls...you can't get steering like that anymore, and obedient throttle is becoming a thing of the past too.

I would love the 2.5L I5 engine and modern manual transmission from my 2008 VW in this Buick. It's got less torque than the Buick's 4.1L V6 but it ought to be good enough, especially with those silly low gears and only an additional 400 pounds of car to move. Come to think of it, the VW drives just fine with 600 pounds of passengers and cargo in addition to me. Just leave the drive-by-wire throttle in the VW...

Edit: Oh, and I do like manual windows. At least, for the drivers window...power for the rest means I can operate them from the driver's seat.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #33
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBob View Post
Soak it with PBBlaster. Best stuff I've seen yet for stuck nuts. You DO have a tubing wrench, don't you? If not, get one. They're not expensive. Nut's already rounded off? Time for Vise-Grips.
Already sprayed it with PB Blaster, and I have a set of flare wrenches. I don't have one large enough for the larger nut which needs to be immobilized, but Vise Grips ought to be fine for that.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:38 PM   #34
Registered Member

Make sure your manifold preheat is working properly. It may not be the fuel filter.

The top of the air cleaner should be very warm, even hot, to the touch if the preheat is working properly.

The hose goes from the intake snorkel to one of the exhaust manifolds. I cold weather it is essential that you are preheating the air going to the carburetor or you will get icing and it will not run worth crap.

There should be a small vacuum operated flap that opens to allow the hot air to mix with the colder air.

regards
Gary
Old 11-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #35
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Flare wrenches are the way to go. Once you do get it apart, put it together with teflon tape, and it will never sieze up on you again.

I agree, I love seeing a long, expansive hood in front of me, the long reach forward to adjust the radio and air conditioning (lots of room to stretch out). Sitting down, and squishing down 6 inches into the seat. The way the car just seems to "float" down the road. Even a modern crown vic or town car just doesn't compare.

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #36
Registered Member

I'll definitely have to check that. It's old and lots of stuff is corroded, it's definitely possible that the flap isn't working properly.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:07 PM   #37
Registered Member

You could jam the flap open to see if it makes any difference. Cost $.00.

regards
Gary
Old 11-29-2009, 05:09 PM   #38
Registered Member

Good idea. That's a FE mod I'd probably do anyway...factory WAI.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #39
Site Team / Moderator

Arrow

Actually, on that car you would jam the flap closed to make a WAI. The flap does not control the air coming off the manifold, the flap controls how much cold air is let in, and mixed with the air from the WAI

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:31 PM   #40
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
Actually, on that car you would jam the flap closed to make a WAI. The flap does not control the air coming off the manifold, the flap controls how much cold air is let in, and mixed with the air from the WAI
Or just remove the vacuum line, IIRC.

I haven't noticed as much of the "float" in the '83 Cad (which I am currently in the process of dropping the transmission on...car knocks in neutral or reverse, but not in drive, been told it's a cracked flexplate, flywheel or whatever you call that thingie...but I see no cracks so I'm not quite convinced...), but then I have been running 40psi in the tires, and 27 years and 146k miles have taken their toll on the suspension rubber.

Best cars I've seen for floaty ride...a friend of mine used to have a 1949 Ford, and when I was a kid we had a 1954 Buick Super Riviera two door hardtop...that thing was like an overstuffed sofa going down the road (and leaned hard in corners).

The long hood looks cool (especially in a Lincoln with the gunsight hood ornament so you can aim at pedestrians...), but I like the modern cars where you can see the ground close to the front of the car a lot better...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote