Always Torque Converting - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-24-2006, 06:29 PM   #11
Registered Member

Car sits, TC Hard to Wake Up

So, I parked the Teg at the airport for 4-5 days and came back to 75-degree weather. The coolant temp was soon up to 195F, and nuthin. 10 miles up the highway, nuthin. Speed constantly at 57, nuthin. 20-minutes later finally, ka-thump: TC. What else does it need??? I've become obsessed with this hyrdraulically-controlled tranferrer of rotating energy.

I understand why it's there -- it's like overdrive without an extra gear. Why not have it engaged at speeds above 10 mph (so the car doesn't stall)? Will the full lock-up kill the tranny during shifts? I think Saturn auto's lock-up in 2nd gear (an SL2 drove and shifted "funny" when I borrowed one). It was definitely the TC working it's "magic".

RH77

Old 04-24-2006, 06:48 PM   #12
Registered Member

Re: Car sits, TC Hard to Wake Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77
So, I parked the Teg at the airport for 4-5 days and came back to 75-degree weather. The coolant temp was soon up to 195F, and nuthin. 10 miles up the highway, nuthin. Speed constantly at 57, nuthin. 20-minutes later finally, ka-thump: TC. What else does it need??? I've become obsessed with this hyrdraulically-controlled tranferrer of rotating energy.

I understand why it's there -- it's like overdrive without an extra gear. Why not have it engaged at speeds above 10 mph (so the car doesn't stall)? Will the full lock-up kill the tranny during shifts? I think Saturn auto's lock-up in 2nd gear (an SL2 drove and shifted "funny" when I borrowed one). It was definitely the TC working it's "magic".

RH77
you can't put it in overdrive too soon. The car doesn't make enough torque below. My overdrive starts at 1250rpm and there is almost no torque till 50mph.(1750rpm)

The problem is we only have 4 gears. With more gears the car stays at lower rpm. I had a chance to drive the 07 camry v6 with 6 speed auto tranny. It stayed below 1500rpm the whole time on the streets. Even though it was at lower rpm it accelarated very quick. At 3000rpm it ripped like a raped ape. So if you want to spend less gas and want lower rpm you got to have more gears. 4 gears is just not enough for fuel economy on the street and freeway. It's only good enough for one.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:35 AM   #13
Registered Member

The TCC isn't so much like an overdrive as it is an engaged clutch. Torque converters provide torque multipliccation when the TCC is not engaged, but once it is engaged torque multiplication is lost. This is one reason why their engagement is delayed. When the TCC is not engaged the crankshaft spins faster than the input shaft of the trans. - this goes away when the TCC comes on. I just did some Chrysler training and they have started using a CVT (same one that Nissan uses) and it locks up at less than 15 mph and stays locked up. I also recently learned that some of the Toyota models get better FE with an automatic than with a manual because of the gear ratios they use. I love Toyota, but I wish they were a little more focused on manuals.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:13 AM   #14
*shrug*

All the automatics these days are getting longer gearing to try to show up manuals, unfortunately they still don't get better mileage in the hands of someone who knows how to drive. I think this is also because manuals are becoming more of a performance only adventure instead of economy, because now most everyone can afford an auto who will be buying a new car so why try to offer something less lazy.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #15
Registered Member

People who race buy autos. People who play at racing or street race or just like rowing buy manuals.
katman@everestkc.net

For AMSOIL products
https://www.lubedealer.com/kat

For Herbs from the Amazon
https://www.168336.amazonherb.net
GasSavers_katman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:42 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katman
People who race buy autos. People who play at racing or street race or just like rowing buy manuals.
autos are consistent. But autos don't bring out the full power of the engine.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:44 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
This may be true for high power domestics and new "automatic" (really just a computer controlled manual) transmissions in european cars, but in the current Honda world, manuals are king.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:01 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
I think this only pertains to muscle-cars. Mostly a throw-back to how bulletproof the old automatics and posi's were. The sight of a floor-mounted Hurst still makes the die-hards drool...

Obviously we aren't going to see full automatics in NASCAR, Indy, or F1 nor will it happen among the rice-rocket pack.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:06 PM   #19
*shrug*

Indeed, it was said that my auto couldn't handle more than 150whp, what a piece of junk when my manual can handle 500whp.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:59 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Indeed, it was said that my auto couldn't handle more than 150whp, what a piece of junk when my manual can handle 500whp.
Don't you drive a blue oval found on road dead? Build your tranny and you too can be running in the 10s or faster.

katman@everestkc.net

For AMSOIL products
https://www.lubedealer.com/kat

For Herbs from the Amazon
https://www.168336.amazonherb.net
GasSavers_katman is offline   Reply With Quote