Automatic Transmission + efficient driving. - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2007, 08:20 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skale7 View Post
I really want to actually measure my FE, instead of this guesswork.
Well, you could always buy a ScanGauge and plug it into whichever vehicle you're driving at the moment. Since it calculates "current" MPG as well as "per trip" you could even leave it in all the time and still separate out your economy from the average that comes from both you and your mom driving it. Might be a little pricey if the only thing you get from it is MPGs, though.

By the way, I neglected to welcome you aboard before. Great first post!

Rick

Old 08-03-2007, 07:17 PM   #12
Registered Member

It's $150. Not for a long time, man. I'll just reset the trip meter whenever I fill gas or something, it'll do. Also, my mother does most of the driving anyway, so I really cannot justify buying it. I get about 21% improvement on my dad's car, I'm sure it's not too different with the van.

Thanks, rick.

skale7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:03 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skale7 View Post
It's $150. Not for a long time, man. I'll just reset the trip meter whenever I fill gas or something, it'll do...

Thanks, rick.
Yep. Ya gotta do what you can. $150 when you're only driving a small amount and don't have your own car - I'd probably postpone the Scangauge for later too.

Unless maybe you can convince your parents it would be a good purchase for the family. Of course then it's not yours. But they would recoup the investment and learn a lot about FE driving in the process. Probably figure on a 15-20% improvement in FE from using the Scangauge, from there you can do the math. You get your money back over the next approx. $800-1000 you spend on gas.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote