Car pulling to the side - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #21
Registered Member

Hindsight but have you checked for a dragging brake? Do you ever smell brake? Dive the car a few miles do a stop farily firm. Hurry out and feel the rim. Compare right and left on the front and on the rear only compare front to front and rear to rear. If one is alot hotter you've got a bad hose or caliper. And to post #12 tire inflation or pressure was mentioned in post #9.

Rusty94cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #22
Registered Member

Rusty thanks. I honestly feel CV is very occasional so far. From last time it stopped clicking. I'll pay attention and will stop when it starts doing it often. As far as brakes i'm suspecting rear shoes are worn out I THINK, maybe so, maybe not. Sometime when i drive under structures i hear the shoes when braking. If one of the shoe pads is completely worn out would that cause dragging to side? I was going to check rear brakes this weekend. I think i'll do that next since it's free anyway. ??? p.s you guys rock. Really good forum

sebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:19 AM   #23
Registered Member

If you inspect the brake pads and they are not worn evenly, then that is a good sign that a caliper was sticking and causing the car to pull in that direction.

Many times, you can just feel of the center part of the rim after a long drive and tell if a brake was dragging (it will be much warmer than the others). This diagnostic method won't work if you have plastic hubcaps...
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #24
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Another sign is that it over heated and caused a wheel bearing failure. Plus a stuck piston can put some really weird forces on the brake rotor depending on the design and how the brake caliper is suspended on the wheel strut.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:24 PM   #25
Registered Member

On mine I had a bad brake hose causing the caliper to drag and get hot.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #26
Registered Member

I checked guys after driving and my wheels are stone cold. I had this issue on my lexus twice but i honestly do not think that's the issue. I'll have this checked while at brake inspection. I would be more leaning towards tires or maybe rear shoe(s) getting caught on the drum?! Is that possible? My gut tells me this isn't brake related but they again what do i know! ...lol
sebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:08 PM   #27
Registered Member

Shake the tire jack it up one side at a time and rock it top to bottom if it moves bad ball joint. Then try side to side if it moves bad tie rod inner or outer. All will cause pulling.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:52 AM   #28
Registered Member

You mention it started happening after you had to make some tight turns, turning the wheels from full left to full right.

You then mention a clicking noise when turning.

Given the above.

If the clicking happens when the vehicle is moving it is most likely CV joint

If the clicking happens when you turn the steering wheel with the car stationary then it will be the bearing at the top of the shock absorber, these are quite prone to clicking after a while, another symptom of this bearing being stiff is the car pulling to one side.

The other thing that points to this diagnosis is how/when it started, if you don't normally have to use full lock, then the bearings would not have been in that position for a while and are now binding slightly.

I'd have a mechanic jack the front up and then turn the steeering wheel (engine off!), listen for binding and clicking as you go from lock to lock.

P.S. It shouldn't be too expensive a fix either.

Oliver

OliverGT is offline   Reply With Quote