City Driving is Killng my FE - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2006, 03:50 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
mpg in neutral

Wow your engines suck (gas) I get 50-60mpg at as little at 15mph in neutral if the engine is warmed up and idling. What I also do is try to keep the speed a little higher when coasting as in 30mph in a 25 zone so that I get even higher mpg - the quicker you get there in neutral the less gas I burn keeping the engine turning over. I do seem to see the idle increase at higher speeds in neutral weird huh? like it will not come down to 650rpm until I stop for a few seconds. I don't see much difference in MPG in gear or in neutral coasting until the rpm gets over 2500-3000 rpm then the mpg decreases (90mpg vs 150mpg).

I guess the stopped in neutral vs stopped in gear makes sense because of the lower idle speed burns less gas.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 05:43 AM   #22
Registered Member

MAP Values

I've been utilizing the N at lights process a lot lately. On the ScanGauge, I can see the manifold pressure go from approx. 5.5 to 4.5, so it looks to be using less energy to keep out of D at stops (Same with A/C - 6.5 down to 5.5). Would the gallons-per-hour feature show more info, I wonder? I'll try it today...

RH77

Old 04-26-2006, 05:54 AM   #23
Registered Member

Re: His engine, actually, is

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
His engine, actually, is very desirable, so it might not be the easiest thing to pick up.
i was assuming the starters are interchangeable. so you could get a starter off one of the less desirable disposable free honda motors. maybe a bad assumption, however.
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:48 AM   #24
*shrug*

It's not a bad assumption,

It's not a bad assumption, you might be confused by the fact that we call everything honda when in fact honda and acura made dramatically different US engines from 92-00. SOHC and DOHC stuff is largely incompatible.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 03:22 PM   #25
Registered Member

Crank it up!

Remember the old crank start on the front of Model-T's. A quick turn and it started. Dangerous but effective. I'm sure the compression would require much more effort these days. How about this...on automatics, something to engage the motion of the moving wheel to kick-start the engine. Well, come to think, a starter would be cheaper and maybe easier than all of that. Nevermind

RH77
...Thought I'd post it anyway

Old 04-26-2006, 03:50 PM   #26
Registered Member

as recently as the 80's, an

as recently as the 80's, an imported car was available in north america with a crank start (as backup to its electric starter). anyone but me remember what it was?
Old 04-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #27
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
'

Wow yah my dad used to have a Toyota wagon when we lived in Detroit, and I totally remember seeing all sorts of "other" wagons around town. I'd point them out, and really "see" them. Notice how you do that once you own a type of car?

Anyway someone in my subdivision owned this sweet looking volvo wagon that had nothing but glass in the back. I swear I seen a crank tucked in the front grill area.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:53 AM   #28
Registered Member

not sure about volvo, but it

not sure about volvo, but it was on a car from another northern country: the lada had a crank.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:16 PM   #29
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
It's not a bad assumption, you might be confused by the fact that we call everything honda when in fact honda and acura made dramatically different US engines from 92-00. SOHC and DOHC stuff is largely incompatible.
Really? as far as I know, there is no "acura" in japan, it's a Honda NSX, Honda Integra (no rsx's there). There is very few engines that are "Acura" or "Honda" specific

My car has a B-16 from a 2000 civic in it, this same engine has been in several other honda/acura products all over the world, and the block is used in almost all high performance honda/acura products (not the V-6 cars, Accord, Prelude) for most of the 90's Decade, B-16's, B-17's, B-18's, and even the slightly more unique B-20 all share a common block, swaping motors from one to the other is only slightly more complicated than swapping for the stock one. I can swap in a motor from anything from an Acura Integra Type R, to a Big CRV, to a JDM 1988 CRX, with no problems. This is one of the reason honda's are so often tuned (and stolen).

The Sohc (D-series) and Dohc (B-series) are very different. They share very few features at all with each other, but then again, who want's a SOHC anyways
Old 11-08-2006, 07:51 AM   #30
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77

2. It's getting to the point where the A/C is required simply for the humidity and the heat is building. Is there a secret to acceleration from a standing start?

RH77
Try this with the A/C : Since the A/C is such a power-consumer (have you watched your RPMs sag when the A/C is turned "on" at idle?), try turning the A/C 'off" when you want to accelerate from a stop- then turn it back "on" after cruising speed is reached. Less drag while the engine is working to gain some speed (overcoming inertia)... and the interior heat won't build that much. ?

Ted Hart is offline   Reply With Quote