Civic Front Axle - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2009, 09:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
 
IndyFetch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 627
Country: United States
Location: Indianapolis
Civic Front Axle

My brother's 99 Civic Si needs a new RF axle. The outer CV boot is split and he drove it for a while without repairing it. The joint is now worn. I bought a new axle, but have not installed it yet. I have never had to replace one before.

I have a Haynes manual for a 92-95 Civic, and I believe the front suspension should be of the same design.

Has anyone had to replace the front axle of a Civic before? If so, were there any issues besides trying not to destroy the seal on the transmission?

Does it require a spring compressor since the lower control arm must be disconnected?

What size of socket is required to break the hub nut loose?

Can one person (moderately competent) handle the job?


Thanks.
__________________

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,027
Country: United States
I have done older (80's) civics as well as a few other makes.

You should be able to get a loan a tool socket from a chain auto parts store (autozone etc.)- basically you pay for it and then they give you the money back when you return it. Just match up their pile of sockets with the big nut that is in the box with the new axle.

The transmission seal isn't too hard to protect, just swing the front spindle way out, get the splines of the axle centered in the transmission hole and slowly swing the whole assembly toward the transmission.

To my knowledge, you will not need a spring compressor- you will jack the car up so that the spring moves against it's stops and then jack some more- then disconnect the control arm.

Be sure you have a long breaker bar to loosen the large axle nut. Take off the hub cap and loosen the nut while the weight of the car is still on the tire (this is the first step to the whole proceedure). You will likely need a hammer and chisel to bend out the nut locking tab before you loosen it.
__________________

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
 
IndyFetch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 627
Country: United States
Location: Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
I have done older (80's) civics as well as a few other makes.

You should be able to get a loan a tool socket from a chain auto parts store (autozone etc.)- basically you pay for it and then they give you the money back when you return it. Just match up their pile of sockets with the big nut that is in the box with the new axle.

The transmission seal isn't too hard to protect, just swing the front spindle way out, get the splines of the axle centered in the transmission hole and slowly swing the whole assembly toward the transmission.

To my knowledge, you will not need a spring compressor- you will jack the car up so that the spring moves against it's stops and then jack some more- then disconnect the control arm.

Be sure you have a long breaker bar to loosen the large axle nut. Take off the hub cap and loosen the nut while the weight of the car is still on the tire (this is the first step to the whole proceedure). You will likely need a hammer and chisel to bend out the nut locking tab before you loosen it.
I can't loosen the axle nut while the weight of the car is on the tire; the wheel will be in the way of the axle nut. I will need to put a pry bar between the wheel lugs to hold it while I crack the nut loose.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,027
Country: United States
I have never seen a wheel like that (maybe your wheel has a center cap that will just pop out).

But your idea should work- the pry bar will need to be strong and be careful that you don't bend the studs.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
 
IndyFetch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 627
Country: United States
Location: Indianapolis
Aftermarket 17'' Wheels.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
 
jadziasman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 324
Country: United States
Do yourself a big favor and swap to your OEM steelies (if you have them) before trying to break the axle nut loose. I'm assuming you don't have air (impact) tools and are trying to use a breaker bar.

I took out the axles on my 92 VX in 2006. I'm not sure if the axles had ever been removed before but it was a real b**** to get those axle nuts off. I needed a five foot breaker bar and I needed to jump on the end of it to loosen each one. You'll probably bend your wheel studs at the least and maybe f*** up the wheel bearing too if you do it the way you're thinking of doing it.

You may have difficulty putting the axle back into the differential. If so you will need to rotate the differential a little so the end will slide in. Hopefully it won't happen to you but it did to me.
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
 
IndyFetch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 627
Country: United States
Location: Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziasman View Post
Do yourself a big favor and swap to your OEM steelies (if you have them) before trying to break the axle nut loose. I'm assuming you don't have air (impact) tools and are trying to use a breaker bar.

I took out the axles on my 92 VX in 2006. I'm not sure if the axles had ever been removed before but it was a real b**** to get those axle nuts off. I needed a five foot breaker bar and I needed to jump on the end of it to loosen each one. You'll probably bend your wheel studs at the least and maybe f*** up the wheel bearing too if you do it the way you're thinking of doing it.

You may have difficulty putting the axle back into the differential. If so you will need to rotate the differential a little so the end will slide in. Hopefully it won't happen to you but it did to me.
Thanks a lot guys
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:02 PM   #8
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_Erik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,027
Country: United States
Maybe you could just put the spare tire on for the loosening step.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #9
jmf
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 129
Country: United States
I just changed the axle on a 97 accord a couple weeks ago.
I took of the lower ball joint and pulled the knuckle away. Just make sure you tap the new one back into the trans all the way with a rubber mallet. They have a snap ring on the end that needs to pop into place. I put mine all back together and tried it and all the fluid leaked out. It turned out that it was not all the way in even though it looked good.
__________________

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
 
jadziasman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 324
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
Maybe you could just put the spare tire on for the loosening step.

Now that's using your noodle. Good one, Erik!
__________________

jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Arco gas - mileage poor jbum General Fuel Topics 9 07-07-2013 12:25 PM
? for dmm user's, monitoring lean burn rlprlp1 General Maintenance and Repair 4 12-17-2007 11:16 AM
super mid Hockey4mnhs General Fuel Topics 5 06-03-2007 01:57 PM
f/s 93 civic VX Olympia washington progsr For Sale 0 12-01-2006 02:12 AM
where do I buy insulation? Matt Timion General Discussion (Off-Topic) 5 05-24-2006 08:40 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.