Old 09-08-2007, 01:58 PM   #91
Stay true to the Game!

So I'll keep coasting then.

popimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:00 PM   #92
Registered Member

Old 09-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #93
Registered Member

Just let me know when you go in for trans work.
bfg9000d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 10:57 AM   #94
Registered Member

I think we all will... I mean, if someone does have trans trouble, it'd be great if they pulled it apart and figgered out what died. Then we could compare it to our trans models and see if those could fail in the same way. The best way to determine if it's worthwhile is to use the difference in mileage it results in to figure out how much the driver will save over some distance, find out when it fails, then compare it to the lifetime of other transmissions of that type. If it fails much sooner, and the cost is more than the gas savings, then it's a no brainer not to do. Otherwise, it's a wash up to a point, or definitely worthwhile.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:31 AM   #95
Stay true to the Game!

I'll keep you up to date on tranny work. I'm not real worried right now. It's still under the manufacturer warranty and I bought a service contract from warranty direct that covers up to 100,000 miles. We'll just wait and see I guess. Thanks for all the input concerning coasting.

popimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:07 AM   #96
Team GasMisers5!

Hi all!

Just to say that some cars, like my 'new' 1989 Nissan Bluebird 2.0iZX auto, come with a gearbox that can be switched in / out of neutral without the box getting confused at all - it very gently selects the right gear!.

I will let you know if the gearbox fails (noting that the gearbox is now nearly at 100,000 miles, which is when these gearboxes have been known to fail anyway!)

Team GasMisers5 - #1 for first three rounds of the original GS Fuel Economy Challenge
Miles displaced by e-bike since 1 Jan 2008: 62.6 (0 kWh used)
Hypomiler
landspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:39 AM   #97
Registered Member

I've done it. It didn't seem like it really did much because it was a short distance. I just drive conservatively, and get good FE for the vehicle I have.

There is a lot of talk about trading in your existing vehicle for something that gets better FE. Years ago I compared how much I was spending on gas with a guy who had just got a new Civic. He was saving about 5 to 10 dollars a month and started heckling me. So I asked him what his payment was. My car is paid off. He never brought it up again.

MA4T