D15Z1 Motor in 1996 Civic EX Harness Plug Problem - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

D15Z1 Motor in 1996 Civic EX Harness Plug Problem

Hi, before i get to the business, I have tried researching google, this forum, and various other forums with no luck.

Well, I've tried to describe this as clearly as i could, along with pictures, and hope you guys can help

Ok here is my situation:
I have a 1996 Honda Civic EX Coupe and recently bought a Motor from a 1994 Honda Civic VX(w/ VX ECU) for fuel efficiency(and also cuz original motor is out of commission).

The harness from the my civic wasn't compatible on the new motor so i purchased a Harness from a 1995 Civic EX which plugs in fine on the VX motor.

Now here is my problem:
The new motor harness does not plug into the chassis harness, and also does not plug into the ECU because it looks like the part of the wiring harness is missing, i do not know what that part of a harness is called.

How do I get those plugs on the new harness plugged into the car's chassis harness and also what cable do i need to plug in the new harness into the ecu???

I have provided pictures of the plugs that i am talking about, hope its detailed enough for you guys to help me out.

I need these:

Plugged into this:

And, These into the ECU:

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Paul

untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
Registered Member

U put all chances on ur side to have a quality anwser with those detailed pictures.

Also, do u have the tranny to? Because the key of the gas milage of a VX is his long gear ratio. CX model (92-95) has the same tranny.

And a D15Z1 is a great pick, mine as 150k on it, and still run very fine (no oil consumption) and is so quiet.

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
For the ECU wiring issue...I think you need a VX ECU to go with the VX engine.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:18 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
In all honesty, it would be easier to use your stock Engine harness from your 96+ vehicle and make it work with the VX motor. Most of the sensors will still plug in and you'll just have to unwrap some of the OEM harness to reach the different connectors. You'll have to change out the harness plugs for the distributor or go to RyWire and get This distributor adapter. And this ECU adapter to be able to plug in the P07 ECU for the Z1 motor.

You'll need to splice in the five wire O2 sensor for the L1H1 on the Z1 motor as well.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #5
Registered Member

Well the thing is i already have the harness installed on the motor and the motor installed in the car and the only connections i have left now is the ECU and the Chassis. Is there ANY other way i can do to get those connected?? I do have some experience in soldering and splicing wires if i need to, lol just dont know what goes where...

Also my ECU is the matching VX ECU to the VX motor, and transmission, well, has reaaally long gears(had the transmission installed on the old motor and it cruized 103MPH at 3500RPM) so assume its the gas saving one.

Is there a pin-out diagram for different harnesses available somewhere or some kind of walk through as to how to do this?

Also at my disposal i have a chassis harness from a 1995 civic EX (manual) which works fine when it comes down to plugging in the new harness, but as far as using it to help with installation on my car and which wires go where i have no idea.

PS: My Final Goal (besides making my car work) is to make a detailed walk-through on installing a D15Z1 motor into 6th Generation Honda Civics.

Thank,
Paul
Old 12-11-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by untraceable View Post
the only connections i have left now is the ECU and the Chassis. Is there ANY other way i can do to get those connected?? I do have some experience in soldering and splicing wires if i need to, lol just dont know what goes where...
And there in lies the problem: the shock tower connections are so different between the VX and the 6th gen Civics that you would end up haveing to unravel about half of that engine harness and re-pin it (not to mention getting the right Sumitomo connectors to fit the chassis harness) that it would be quicker to remove the harness from the motor and use your OEM one.

You're going to have to buy the ECU adapter harnes I linked you to to get a good start on installing that ECU, unless you want to make your own ECU harness.

I'm not aware of any wiring diagrams, save the Factory Helms manual for each corresponding year (you'd need one for the 92-95 Civics and one for the 96-98 Civics) in order to find out all the pinouts.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
Registered Member

Aah, gotcha, my plan is going to be a big pain in the A...

I really appreciate the quick responds guys, much more helpful than hondatech.

so next stop is to just unplug it and swap out the injector/alternator plugs and get both or those conversion harnesses for ecu and distributor?

Oh and about the o2 sensor, the guy that i original bought the car from had a ricer exhaust on in and it has a generic (i guess) o2 sensor, will that give me any problems once i connect everything since the Z1 uses a wideband o2 sensor?
Old 11-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #8
Registered Member

Man i really wish i could get a update on this post as if things work out soon ill be going down the same path you just went. I will be putting a D15Z1 motor in a 96 civic four door.
Master Shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
Registered Member

Honda Hookups has downloadable factory service manuals for both car is question. So there would be your wiring diagram. I beleave they make a jumper harness and you will have to use the 96 wiring but with the jumper you can use the obd1 ecu it's been doneillion times just not with that motor most guys doing swaps are for speed. Not mPg. The trans is the biggest fuel saver of the set up with stock motor and cx trans Yould get 35 40 mpg with no other mods.

Rusty94cx is offline   Reply With Quote