D15z1 vibrations, frustration running high - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #41
Registered Member

Re: D15z1 vibrations, frustration running high

Well, I got the motor back from the shop and of coarse, everything checked out
fine. I was there for the tear down and all of the bearings looked great. The piston wrist pins as well as wall clearance were tight with no evidence of cylinder wall scuffing. They called a Honda shop and suggested that maybe a loose timing belt could allow the cam to "jiggle" at certain RPM and knock the distributor drive. That sounds possible and I did notice the timing belt fluttering (deflecting) when I had the upper half of the timing cover off. I hope to get it back in tomorrow.

There were some small anomalies with the pressure plate so the whole kit was warrantied out. The new pressure plate has fat fingers instead of the small ones. Anyone seen that?

honerscivic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:28 AM   #42
Registered Member

Wow- very surprising that everything looked good inside. I hope it was just the slapping timing belt, but it is too bad they couldn't have double checked the balance of the crank and made sure there was no run out.

Let us know how it runs when you get it back in.

GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #43
Registered Member

Well I got it back in and ended up getting a new clutch kit from the guy I purchased the original from. After the machinist showed him the measurements he agreed it was worth a shot. The pedal is now smooth but the knock is still there. I have no Idea what the cause is but the bottom end looked great so I will just drive it. I still wonder but have put my family on hold long enough for this thing. I have heard a term on vtec forums called
cam chatter and thought maybe that's what it is?

The new clutch kit came with an exedy pressure plate that has fewer fingers and is lighter in operation by 50%. The engagement is also at the very beginning of the pedal action now so that took some getting used to. There is pedal free play so don't worry. Just seems like less holding force but there is no slippage. The original plate had many thin fingers and had a heavier operation. Anyone else have experience with the exedy press plate?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #44
Registered Member

^I've got an EXEDY 08022 kit in now, just installed last week. So far so good, also had the pedal adjusted so I don't have to ride the clutch long, it takes about 2 inches off the floor before it either dies or not.

After the fact, I sorta had 2nd thoughts and wish I had gotten a Beck/Arnley kit. Looking at the pictures from Amazon for both kits, it seems the Beck/Arnley is more heavy-duty; like the original that was pulled...but maybe EXEDY is able to get by with this 'lighter' design? The original was overkill??? Idk...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...1&s=automotive

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...1&s=automotive
Old 12-13-2011, 11:26 AM   #45
Registered Member

I have the pressure plate from the exedy kit and the clutch disk from the second kit in your links. I guess Luk just packages whatever. The first kit I got had the pressure plate from the second and the disk from the first. Glad your clutch engages a little closer to the floor.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:36 PM   #46
Registered Member

Yeah, no problems so far. I'm pleased. You could try getting a simple Used Oil Analysis by pulling a sample from the end of your next oil change? That could tell you how things are going, but not absolute of course.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #47
Registered Member

Interestingly, it seems this is the correct picture for the Beck/Arnley clutch kit. The Amazon one is different or a previous design?

RockAuto shows this:

Old 12-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #48
Registered Member

I had a thought, if it is somehow noise from the camshaft affecting the distributor, could you remove the oil fill cap and try to listen for the sound again to see if it's more top-end or lower?
Old 12-23-2011, 01:10 PM   #49
Registered Member

UPDATE:

Okay, as of late I've had an intermittent 'wabble' or vibration in the steering wheel when coming to a stop really quick, like in city driving or in a parking lot.

It's like the idle just gets really low and the acts like it's choking, as if about to stall for a moment.

Hard braking = cough/rough idle w/ wabble/vibration?

Strange. I know my IACV has been sticking of late, but it hasn't done the uprev/hunting idle thing much. Would a fast idle valve or IACV cause resting idle issues???

I definitely don't have the knocking-like sound the OP had, but figured it was worth sharing.

Oil pressure? Tired oil pump? Fuel pressure?
Old 12-23-2011, 03:55 PM   #50
Registered Member

Add-
Mine has done that since I bought it. I think it's due to the vacuum booster pulling extra vacuum during hard braking. That changes air pressure in the IM. The IACV has to "react" to a load event on the alternator if you turn on the headlights or run the blower on high. There is a lag between when the event occurs and the IACV "catches up." I've actually had mine stall during emergency braking (like when I hit a smallish deer). I keep my idle a little lower than spec, though, to save a few more drops of fuel.

The vibration goes up for sure, I'd say that's because the motor is spinning so slowly and one or more cylinders is running extra lean at that moment.

I'd say given the age of the IACV, wiring that feeds it, hoses, etc, its easy to see why the "catch up" time is a little longer than it was new. Newer cars have a "pre load event" warning system that alerts whatever device controls idle that you've just slammed on the brakes or turned on the headlights.

B

benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote