downshifting to achieve fuel cut - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2008, 06:24 AM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Cool, the way I've been doing it has matched exactly what you're saying.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:27 AM   #22
Registered Member

Downshifting to extend Fuel Cutoff window

I keep seeing messages from prople that warn against shifting automatic transmissions. I have always shifted my auto-trans at will, every since I learned to drive. My Dad is in construction, we pulled trailers with tools etc. for years, we shifted the automatic transmissions to select the gear for best performance and use. Now I shift down on a regular basis to extend the Fuel Cutoff window if I'm going to come to a stop (or nearly) from highway speeds. I have never had a Transmission Fail in 100's of thousand of miles driven. About 20 years ago we sold our '74 Dodge work van to a friend (for $700). It had almost 300,000 miles on it and we manually shifted it every time we drive it. He put a new engine in it and drove it about 75,000 more miles before the trans started slipping (he never shifted). My 2000 Dodge minivan has (as of this morning) 199,680 miles on it. It has been shifted so many times the shifter has visible wear on it, but it still works perfectly. I think that there are people out there that can totally destroy a transmission by shifting it and I think there are those who know how and why they are shifting and it doesn't produce any additional wear at all. In fact the trans may even be lasting longer than it would have shifting on its own.

GasSavers_Neon is offline   Reply With Quote