Drove my new '92 VX home today! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Good news! It needed a tune up!! Purrs like a kitten. Also, since this car has a working odometer, I'll be doing a gas log. Even with herky-jerky driving (I really went flat out for parts of the tank for diagnostic purposes) I still returned 51mpg for the first tank in cold weather and on a motor that desperately needed a tune up. Not bad for a car with 243K!

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:15 PM   #12
Registered Member

The temp has gone up on multiple occasions now. The highest was just below the white line that is right below the red line going up a steep winding hill. The radiator fan did not come on. As far as I know, the radiator fan never comes on. However, the guy who I bought a spare set of wheels from said he tested the radiator fan and it worked. So not sure why it's not coming on?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
The temp has gone up on multiple occasions now. The highest was just below the white line that is right below the red line going up a steep winding hill. The radiator fan did not come on. As far as I know, the radiator fan never comes on. However, the guy who I bought a spare set of wheels from said he tested the radiator fan and it worked. So not sure why it's not coming on?
You might need to bleed air out of the bleed screw at the top rad hose, if there is an air lock it causes issues with water flow.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
Registered Member

If its not some air The only other thing is the coolant temp switch for the fan not sure which one it is. I don't think I've herd my fan run on either of my civics. The needles never seem to go up past half. I have herd that when the do run it's at most for like 45 seconds.
Rusty94cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:03 PM   #15
Registered Member

45 seconds is all it would probably take to bring the temp down as running the incabin heat almost is always enough to control the temp (except going up the hollywood hills yesterday). The car is also pretty laden the last few days. At minimum it's been 3 people and their stuff. Thanks guys, I will look into those things.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #16
Registered Member

The fan came on when I was teaching my friend how to drive stick. Strange thing was, the fan came on when the Engine was off. The car hadn't been driven very much and the temperature gage had not risen. The engine had been started and stopped a few times. I am not sure if the fan continued to run after the engine was started. Another odd thing about this: when my friend had turned the key to start the car the fan turned off at the start position (probably because accessories get turned off to save battery when the engine is being started), But the engine didn't actually start. Nothing happened; but this was probably only due to the alarm system preventing the car from starting. The car did start normally shortly after but I don't remember hearing the fan continue running; I wasn't really listening though because I wanted to finish the lesson.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #17
Registered Member

Be careful don't let him burn the clutch up. Hmmm I'm wondering if the alarm is a possible problem or the ignition switch. You need to try with the car running jump that connector. The circuit is in tact with ignition off and yes the fan should run then if hot. And yes it should turn off while cranking. I hate car alarms. They can throw alot of wrenches into the mix.

Rusty94cx is offline   Reply With Quote