Drove my new '92 VX home today! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Drove my new '92 VX home today!

I will try to encapsulate my experience in my 'new' car. It feels tight and new and it's pretty amazing that it really has 242,800 miles on the odometer. Dunno why someone would roll the odometer forward, but if they did, it wouldn't surprise me. That said, the engine isn't as smooth as my '93 VX's. There is a hesitation of sorts even when the throttle is fairly wide open. I suppose the hesitation is similar to a lean burn stumble, but compared to my car it's much more frequent and less smoothly. The previous owner uses this website to get OEM parts: Honda Parts at HondaPartsDeals.com: Honda Accessory, Honda Car Parts, Honda Auto Parts, Honda Accord Parts Not sure if this is a leigit, good place to get parts or not. I wonder if the stutter could be from improper brand of spark plugs? Any other ideas what it could be? Otherwise the car really drives more like it has 42,800 miles than 242,800.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Registered Member

My GMC with 350,000 feels great. It's all in how it was maintained. BTW, one post away from 1,000. Way to to!

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Registered Member

Pull your plugs and wires and swap them out in this car. See if it helps. Possibly then use you 02 and your intake if all the other stuff doesn't help. Cheep and easy if your handy.
Rusty94cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Registered Member

It's actually running beautifully now; I think it was just adjusting to my different driving style. Man this thing drives nice! Steering is really nice; shifter, clutch; everything seems perfect. The engine sounds young, healthy and willing. Still can't get over how long the ad was up before I bought it. People get scared off by one thing: the mileage; their loss, my gain! (Ok, I really need to stop gloating).

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #5
Registered Member

No good score better you getting it than a kid gutting it ruining it. Still my 30$ vx beats you but it needs axles and seals. but like you said purrs like a kitten and rides nice.
Old 12-08-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Registered Member

well, it's still hesitating. It seems to be the happiest, smoothest and most powerful in 3rd gear above 2000 RPMs and the stutter seems to be worst at lower RPMs in all gears. 5th gear seems to be the worst at low RPMs. I'm really hoping a tune up solves it completely. WIll be doing a tune up tomorrow or Tuesday.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
Registered Member

Have you done a compression test? How about vacuum readings? Mine pulls 22 at idle I believe rock steady. I don't have any of these hesitation problems. I do have a check engine light on though. I pulled the egr and it is clean and clear. I was bored and had some time. You could unplug the 02 and see if it is related to that. Also check timing.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
Registered Member

I haven't done any tests. When the engine is cold it runs smooth. The hesitation is also not present with very light throttle on flat or down a slight grade. Even with WOT it hesitates. It seems to hesitate less or completely go away above 3200RPM but I think that may be because the RPMs are climbing so quickly by that point. I also think that's why it's worse at lower RPMs and worse in higher gears (like 4th and 5th).

Old 12-09-2012, 03:13 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
It seems to hesitate less or completely go away above 3200RPM
What RPM does VTEC engage? The change there could be related to VTEC engagement.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #10
Registered Member

I know the lean burn shuts off at 2,400-2,450 RPM. I think that is when the VTEC system opens the 2nd sent of intake valves all the way. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote