Help needed: Tranny swap civic VX. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

Help needed: Tranny swap civic VX.

Recently discovered I have the wrong transmission in the car. (see post in general fuel economy section)
I have a lead on a VX motor/tranny. I would like to swap it in soon!

I've got the service manual for a 92. I'm sure I could figure this out on my own, but help would be great! Tips, time, etc.

Anyone live near Maine that wants to help?

What other specialized tools will I need for a trans swap?

The new motor/tranny has 130k. Should I do a clutch while I'm there? Special tools for that? The clutch in the car feels good, actually. No slipping at all. Can I swap the clutch from the existing tranny to the VX one and how much work is that? Should I have the flywheel resurfaced either way?
I'd prefer to re-use the existing clutch from either motor as money is tight right now. Once I do this once, it won't be as hard a second time. (if I need a clutch later)

Advice on a clutch kit if I need it?

If anyone is close (relatively speaking, <250 miles away or so), I have things I can trade like a pile of VX parts for your help. I also have a bunch of other stuff like snowblowers, other parts, pro audio stuff, music gear, drum sets, etc.

Any advice/help is appreciated.
Thanks!
B

benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Help needed: Tranny swap civic VX.

Found this clutch:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_New-Clutch-Set-Perfection-Clutch_5334969-P_244_R|GRP60006_1251178054___
Worth it?
I have a $20off coupon I can use, and it's in stock locally.
Anybody had any experience with this brand?
B

Old 01-10-2011, 03:17 AM   #3
jmf
Registered Member

If the trans that you have is working fine why swap it? Your mileage seems good, maybe the trans that you have is better.

jmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:07 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

I would inspect the clutch on the engine/transmission combo while it's out of the car, where it's much easier to inspect and replace, then decide what to do.

When I did my transmission swap I bought a new clutch but I should have saved the $80 and used the one that came with the transmission. Oh well, if it ever wears out I still have the other one.

I don't know about Honda stuff, but the only special tool I needed for my GM was a clutch alignment tool. I didn't like the universal ones in stores, I wanted a splined one like what comes with a clutch kit but I couldn't get my hands on one so I made a non-splined one out of a 1/2" ratchet extension and a whole lot of tape wrapped around it to make the diameter correct.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

I agree that you should at least inspect the clutch.

If it isn't slipping and it works smoothly now, then the flywheel is likely fine. Clean it and the pressure plate's friction surface with brakes parts cleaner before you reassemble. Add a very small amount of grease to the round piece that the release bearing slides on and spin the release bearing to make sure that it spins smoothly and quietly.

I also agree that a clutch alignment tool will be a time saver- but you can do something like HC suggested and get by without one.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
Registered Member

The advance auto clutch comes with an alignment tool. Plus I have a $20 off discount coupon for there. That's a new clutch for less than $100. Sign me up if it needs it. The original tranny in the car now does have a noisy (or what I think is noisy) throw out bearing.
Yes, my mileage is decent. I need to update the log however. The winter mileage has gone to crap. A few tanks in the low 40's and two at 40mpg. I got the MPGUINO and things have been better. However, it does rev high on the highway which is where most of my driving is. I intend to keep the existing tranny in case this one dies anyway. In spite of the decent MPG, I want more! I feel like I've done a ton of modifications and radically changed my driving technique and I'm still only as good as others on the site with (presumably from their info/signature/questions I've asked them) the right VX tranny on their bad day. I know, this is all very relative to many factors, but I'm willing to see if this is a cause.
Oh, and I'd love to have that flywheel resurfaced/taken down a bit. Not extreme, but I'd like to reduce it's overall size to some degree while I'm in there.
Anywho, thanks for the input!
Keep the advice coming if you've done a tranny before. I've never done one or a clutch.
B