Honda Timing Belt Change - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-28-2006, 06:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
 
JanGeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,442
Country: United States
Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Honda Timing Belt Change

Hey a buddy just called me and said he got a price for a timing belt change on his Honda Civic? I think for like $900 along with a coolant check bla bla bla typical dealer ripoff - then got a $500 price for just the belt change. How hard is the belt change and is there a view hole in the cover to check to see if it is loose or fraying??
__________________

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
Driving on E
 
Matt Timion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,110
Country: United States
While I've never done it on

While I've never done it on a honda, it can't be too hard.

The most difficult part is that you have to unbolt an engine mount to change the belt. he's probably best off replacing the water pump while he's in there.

If he wants to flush the radiator he will cost him about $3 in parts at Autozone and a garden hose.

What year is his civic? I'll hopefully be able to track down a "how to" to show you the process.
__________________

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:34 PM   #3
*shrug*
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,195
Country: United States
Yeah, it aint bad. Just DIY

Yeah, it aint bad. Just DIY it, I've done it on a camry.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
 
Compaq888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,460
Country: United States
this is where my engine

this is where my engine shines. It has a timing chain. If it wasn't for the weak pistons my engine would be like an RB motor to the 4 cylenders. Also the heads outflow the SR motor stock vs. stock.
__________________

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:10 PM   #5
Moderator
 
GasSavers_DaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,209
Country: United States
Re: Honda Timing Belt Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
Hey a buddy just called me and said he got a price for a timing belt change on his Honda Civic? I think for like $900 along with a coolant check bla bla bla typical dealer ripoff - then got a $500 price for just the belt change. How hard is the belt change and is there a view hole in the cover to check to see if it is loose or fraying??
I've done numerous Honda timing belts, and with the right tools, it's a cinch. You can pull the valve cover (usually 4 10 mm nuts) and then the upper timing belt cover to see the timing belt.

I recommend replacing the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner spring every 90K miles on Hondas. I recommend replacing the timing belt tensioner every 180K miles, or every other timing belt. If it's the first timing belt I do on a vehicle of mine, I usually spend the extra cash and put in a new tensioner for peace of mind.

The hardest part is breaking the crank pulley bolt. Some say it's easy with air-impact wrenches, but I have yet to try it with an air compressor that can keep up with my 710 ft-lb torque wrench. I think if you have a 60+ gallong comperssor, you might be able to do it. The way I do it is with a special crank pulley holder tool (it was $120, and worth every penny) and a breaker bar. I've had success doing it the ghetto way, with one person wedging a flat head screwdriver in the flywheel teeth while someone else is on the crank pulley bolt with a breaker bar. I've also cracked transmission bell housings this way.

Once you get that bolt off, it's literally a 1 hour job.

Tell your friend best of luck, and I'm willing to lend my advice through email if necessary.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #6
Registered Member
 
JanGeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,442
Country: United States
Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
THanks

Thanks DaX but he is not that good with a wrench - better with a saw and hammer with wood. Not sure where he is this past week but another garage that has a good reputation and nice guys that I know gave him a lower price about half as the Honda Dealer.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 01:07 AM   #7
Registered Member
 
Bunger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 311
Country: United States
Re: Honda Timing Belt Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
Hey a buddy just called me and said he got a price for a timing belt change on his Honda Civic? I think for like $900 along with a coolant check bla bla bla typical dealer ripoff - then got a $500 price for just the belt change. How hard is the belt change and is there a view hole in the cover to check to see if it is loose or fraying??
Damn I'm glad I know how to do my own repair/maint work... its seriously like a 2 hour job tops and maybe $100 of parts...
__________________
Anger is a gift!
- Zack de la Rocha
Bunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:45 PM   #8
Registered Member
 
GasSavers_Ryland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,325
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I paid $290 to have a local

I paid $290 to have a local mecanic do it, same price at another mecanic, this was for both the timing belt, and water pump on a 92 civic, so they figured it would take them around 4 hours to replace everything, of course they had to take it all appart again because the VX has funny timing marks that they screwed up the first time and it left the car hardly running, and no power, $25 for a repair book, something every person who owns a car should have, if for no other reason then to find out what exactly the mecanic is doing.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
Registered Member
 
add|ct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 534
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
I paid $290 to have a local mecanic do it, same price at another mecanic, this was for both the timing belt, and water pump on a 92 civic, so they figured it would take them around 4 hours to replace everything, of course they had to take it all appart again because the VX has funny timing marks that they screwed up the first time and it left the car hardly running, and no power, $25 for a repair book, something every person who owns a car should have, if for no other reason then to find out what exactly the mecanic is doing.
This is something I wanted to bring back from the depths. When it comes to something like the timing belt make sure you let the mechanic know what he may need to, even if he doesn't think he needs to. That way, you won't regret assuming that they would 'just take care of everything', when could just overlook the slight difference in an engine like the VX with the specific timing marks.

I may just do the timing belt on my own car, but I'm worried I need to be more brave than I typically tend to be with car work.

My vx has 240k miles so it 'possibly' needs the tensioner, and probably should unless the old belt has markings indicating anything related to said tensioner. The only qualm I have is I have to replace the water pump as well, since it needs several things done while I'm in there. Should I bite the bullet and get on the project myself?
__________________
'92 Civic VX, Canadian model
add|ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
Registered Member
 
VetteOwner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,546
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX View Post
I've done numerous Honda timing belts, and with the right tools, it's a cinch. You can pull the valve cover (usually 4 10 mm nuts) and then the upper timing belt cover to see the timing belt.

I recommend replacing the timing belt, water pump, and tensioner spring every 90K miles on Hondas. I recommend replacing the timing belt tensioner every 180K miles, or every other timing belt. If it's the first timing belt I do on a vehicle of mine, I usually spend the extra cash and put in a new tensioner for peace of mind.

The hardest part is breaking the crank pulley bolt. Some say it's easy with air-impact wrenches, but I have yet to try it with an air compressor that can keep up with my 710 ft-lb torque wrench. I think if you have a 60+ gallong comperssor, you might be able to do it. The way I do it is with a special crank pulley holder tool (it was $120, and worth every penny) and a breaker bar. I've had success doing it the ghetto way, with one person wedging a flat head screwdriver in the flywheel teeth while someone else is on the crank pulley bolt with a breaker bar. I've also cracked transmission bell housings this way.

Once you get that bolt off, it's literally a 1 hour job.

Tell your friend best of luck, and I'm willing to lend my advice through email if necessary.
if its a manual tranny just put it in gear and jam on the parking brake

or sometimes can get by with a rag in the belt system
__________________

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help...MPG calculator not working djquik1 Fuelly Web Support and Community News 1 10-18-2010 05:57 AM
Missing Fuelup jmonty Fuelly Web Support and Community News 3 05-27-2009 05:10 AM
Support for motorbikes wrighth1 Fuelly Web Support and Community News 9 08-18-2008 07:11 AM
Ever wonder how wind will effect your mileage? Lots of interesting Prius info krousdb General Fuel Topics 4 02-08-2006 08:49 PM
My paint job saga... with pictures of the finished product Matt Timion General Discussion (Off-Topic) 9 01-04-2006 08:16 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.