Is all ATF +4 synthetic? - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-26-2010, 09:39 PM   #21
Registered Member

Well, funny thing tonight is O'Reilly didn't even order the Fel-Pro(thankfully which I didnt need), but mistakenly tried to get 2 of the Wix kits shipped. The guy thought he had let me down and all.

Anyways, it was just over $12 for the 1 Wix kit with filter, rubber gasket, & a new O-ring.

Also, according to their online site, Napa is selling Valvoline ATF+4 @ $4.49 compared to $5.69(A-Zone) and $5.99(O'Reilly).

Nice way to save another $10-$15. It looks like I'll be able to do the job now for just under $65 after taxes.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:22 AM   #22
Registered Member

Re: Is all ATF +4 synthetic?

I identified my return line from the cooler line leading to/from the transmission. It looks like an easier job on this car than others, but I'd definitely want to use clear hoses during this procedure.

What I decided to do, though, is another filter change with a fluid top off for now, using Valvoline ATF +4. I'll be doing the 'flush' this way at my next service interval, which will be the 30k mark again.

The Napa store I went to had Valvoline +4 ATF on the shelf for $5.99, so I asked about online pricing @ $4.49. The store manager asked how many I needed and rang them all up at that price instead. I only got 4 to do the basic service interval. I may cut my service interval down to 15k instead, since it may not be driven that much in the next couple years anyway. Then, I'll do the more 'thorough' method.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #23
Registered Member

Re: Is all ATF +4 synthetic?

Your mechanic or a dealer or a transmission shop uses one of two ways to change fluid. I guess filter replacement and band adjustment depend on overall mileage and miles on the fluid.

. Most prefer to hook-up their flush machine. Add 14, or so, quarts of new and when finishes, remove and discard the old stuff.

. Most professionals prefer to leave well enough alone and won't adjust the bands unless necessary but will check when the filter is replaced.
In 623,000 miles the transmission shop guy adjusted the Dakota bands....once.

It is an icky, gunky, messy, smelly job, even on my pristene Tundra so I just fork-over about $120.00 and be done with it.

Here is what the Stratus uses:

AMSOIL AMSOIL Synthetic Universal ATF is recommended for transmissions,
hydraulics, power steering and other applications requiring any of the following specifications:

AUTOMOTIVE

? GM DEXRON? III-H
? Ford MERCON? & MERCON V
? Chrysler ATF+4?
? Toyota Type T-III and T-IV
? Honda Z-1 (Not CVT)
? Diamond SP II & III (Mitsubishi/Hyundai/Kia)
? Mazda ATF-III, ATF-MV
? Subaru ATF, ATF-HP
? Nissan Matic D, J & K
? Idemitsu K-17
? BMW LA2634
? LT 71141
? Audi G-052-025-A2 & G-052-162-A1
? Volvo 97340
? MB 236.1, 236.2, 236.5, 236.6, 236.7, 236.9 & 236.10
? JWS 3309
? NAG 1
? ETL-7045E, ETL-8072B & N402
? Mopar AS68RC

I do not think all ATF is synthetic.

623,000 miles on original engine and transmission, using Amsoil by-pass filters and lubrication.
+Everybody knows something you don't know.
+Artists prove truth can be in forms you don't understand.

Low-Risk Option Trader
Retired Pro-Hunter featured in; 'African Hunter', by James R. Mellon III. and listed in; Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game.
shatto is offline   Reply With Quote