moist air causing cough in Cvic VX when engine cold - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 08-11-2011, 11:16 PM   #11
Registered Member

Re: moist air causing cough in Cvic VX when engine cold

When you turn your key forward can you hear the fuel pump prime at all?

There is a way to check for fuel pressure to the fuel rail leading into the injectors(post filtration), there is a small diaphragm that uses intake manifold vacuum and looks like a miniature EGR.

Someone else recently had this issue over on the BITOG site(car dies while on the highway, fuel pump was the culprit), you could try kicking at the area where the fuel pump is while attempting to start it. Should be under the back passenger seat area from inside the cabin. See if that helps while attempting to start. I don't know how to properly test for fuel pressure, and you can verify the batter is still good, right?

You could try loosening the top nut on the line out of the fuel filter just enough to cause a leak for testing purposes(place a shop rag underneath this of course to help catch any excessive fuel spray...turn the key forward to prime. Any gas? I don't know about safely starting it(attempting) this way though.

Other things that come to mind with this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY_Gn...eature=related

Old 08-12-2011, 02:31 AM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Yes, an impact from a rock or hammer is a common way to get a fuel pump to cooperate enough to get home.

The reason it failed isn't engine-off coasting, it's because you run your tank too low. All those times that it gave you the symptom while low on fuel, it was probably lacking lubrication and probably overheating. In-tank fuel pumps depend on having a decent fuel level to keep them in good condition.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:08 AM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX

This time it happened with plenty of fuel in the tank. But I do run on fumes a lot.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX

addict: it has fresh batter (just made few weeks ago--it makes excellent pancakes [ie battery is good and recently replaced ]).

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #15
Registered Member

Have you looked at the head? My doctor always has me turn my head when I cough. Sorry guys, I couldn't resist.
IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #16
Registered Member

I wonder how easy it is to replace the fuel pump on these cars?

Someone mentioned in another forum they removed some panel from inside the car?

I thought the tank had to be dropped(at least if you wanted to replace the sock?).

Bosch has a relatively cheap fuel pump priced less than then Denso units(first time fit but they market as 'never worry about doing the job twice'. I figure as regards the fuel pump that Bosch would be solid? Definitely replace the sock anyway right?

PS: It was 3 AM and I must(have been) hungry!
Old 08-12-2011, 01:26 PM   #17
Registered Member

VX fuel pumps are relatively easy to replace. Remove the rear seat (lower portion). Remove 3 or 4 phillips screws in the cover under seat. Feed the wires through the rubber grommet so the cover can slide back. Remove the high pressure line first because it is easier to break free before unbolting the pump. Remove the low pressure return hose. Unplug the harness to the pump; you may have to remove the harness to the sender as well for access. Remove all of the 10mm nuts around the opening. Carefully orient the pump so the feed/sock can come out. You have to squeeze the sock a bit to get it out/ the new in. Keep a rag handy and a bucket to put the old pump in or else your car will smell like gas for a while.
Install is reverse of the removal.
B
benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:14 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

Don't forget to relieve system pressure before you start. Pull a fuse or relay for the fuel pump and try to start the car a few times.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #19
Registered Member

I know from reading the previous posts you think it's related to the fuel pump/fuel system, but have you checked the timing belt for damage? Maybe the timing jumped a tooth. Might be a good thing to check, I think you have an interference engine and a broken belt would be catastrophic.
#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
I know from reading the previous posts you think it's related to the fuel pump/fuel system, but have you checked the timing belt for damage? Maybe the timing jumped a tooth. Might be a good thing to check, I think you have an interference engine and a broken belt would be catastrophic.
Especially with how many times he's tried to start it here recently...

Worth a look if the Valve Cover can be pulled and the Upper Timing Belt cover removed.

By the way, nice write-up ben and another +1 to cow for the relieving of pressure process, removing the gas cap from outside can help with this after relieving the pressure via the fuse/relay pulled method, with subsequent attempted start ups, though it may not actually crank or pressure be much of an issue if the pump is truly dead in the water by now, still a good precaution.

I'd be wearing safety glasses and those safety disposable gloves when initially removing the hoses, etc.

PS: What is the difference between a fuel pump and fuel sender? Also, did anyone check out the guy with the CRX that had the main relay that needed soldering? I also heard some of the ECU's in these cars may need a similar re-solder at certain points on the ECU over time, instead of trying to just buy a replacement ECU.