New Personal MPG Record - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

New Personal MPG Record

filled up today to a new personal mpg record(barely). 337.4 miles on 12.704 gal to the tune of 26.55(old record was 26.53). the 30mpg goal eludes me still!

this 1995 olds 88(AT) has gotten this far w/ acetone,gliding, and weight reduction. driving is aprx 35%city/65% hwy. yes acetone HAS worked for me(more on that later on another thread). a few of you have stated getting 30+ with the same 3.8 GM motor, but my question is has anyone achieved this in similar conditions? short answer: NO!

let me explain. i know of 3 other owners of the same EXACT vehicle (all 1995 or 96), driving the same roads,weather,etc. they ALL agree that ANY city driving adversely affects FE. my hwy driving is 70 mph and a/c on also. since i joined gassavers a year after getting the car, there are no gaslog entries showing before and after acetone(sorry). i did document(every fill-up) that my avg WAS 20-22. after each mod is confirmed(or not) i will go back to leaving out the acetone. EVERY time this is done, FE drops back to org #s.

next up, overinflated tires. then a grill block. very confident in achieving 30mpg. soon the a/c usage will go down(possibly deleted) due to cooler weather. also using scan gauge on my wife's car(mine is not compatible) to help with "the nut behind the wheel." we have the same motor, so hopefully this will help.

one last thing. i'd like to extend a personal thank you to all of you who have posted your ideas and info. even tho i started hypermiling before joining this site, i NEVER thought it possible to go from a low of 20mpg to closing in on 30 with subtle mods.

bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #2
Registered Member

Good stuff!

Any chance you could try a tank at 55 mph and 55 psi?

Old 10-11-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TonJellyBean View Post
Good stuff!

Any chance you could try a tank at 55 mph and 55 psi?
sorry, i'd get "run over" on the FL turnpike(70mph). but i will try 65mph and 60psi(already increased). do you think 60 is too much?
Old 10-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #4
Registered Member

what are the sidewalls rated for?

i noticed a difference between 44 and 55... didn't think i would but i did

that and i couldn't really go beyond 50 psi with my bicycle floor pump and had to drop 50 cents! Grrr! L
Old 10-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TonJellyBean View Post
what are the sidewalls rated for?

i noticed a difference between 44 and 55... didn't think i would but i did

that and i couldn't really go beyond 50 psi with my bicycle floor pump and had to drop 50 cents! Grrr! L
sidewalls rated at 44.

something that might interest your 55mph suggestion: i drive a couple of stretches of 55mph zones out side the turnpike. so, to offset the 65mph(rather than 70) turnpike a bit, was considering driving those sections at 50. according to the scan gauge, that is the max FE for my wife's car, again, same engine.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
Supporting Member

bowtieguy -

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
sidewalls rated at 44.

something that might interest your 55mph suggestion: i drive a couple of stretches of 55mph zones out side the turnpike. so, to offset the 65mph(rather than 70) turnpike a bit, was considering driving those sections at 50. according to the scan gauge, that is the max FE for my wife's car, again, same engine.
Ok, good stuff. That was going to be my next question. Are the transmissons the same for each car?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #7
Registered Member

Carlos,

great question. no, her car(a camaro) is rear wheel drive. so, the trannies are not the same. however, i have noticed both cars have TC lock up near 50 mph @ 1500 rpm. 40mph is 2k rpm as is 65 and over(70 is about 2200). so, 50-65 is where i want to be right?

BTW everyone, ABA(more like AB...AB, since acetone can't be removed in tank) testing w/ acetone using the scan gauge on my wife's car leads me to believe it does NOT work(inconclusive) for the camaro. tried this tank to tank and came up w/ the same conclusion. can't say why, just want to give info on experiments w/out bias. the olds likes it, the camaro doesn't!
Old 10-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #8
Supporting Member

bowtieguy -

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtieguy View Post
Carlos,

great question. no, her car(a camaro) is rear wheel drive. so, the trannies are not the same. however, i have noticed both cars have TC lock up near 50 mph @ 1500 rpm. 40mph is 2k rpm as is 65 and over(70 is about 2200). so, 50-65 is where i want to be right?
Others can comment better than me, but if they're behaving the same, then I think you should be fine.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:30 AM   #9
Registered Member

Granted this would be expensive to test, but how about synthetic transmission fluid? Mobil 1. I'm changing over but have no comparison numbers, sorry.

For my car, at every 4K mi. oil change I drain the tranny pan once and replace the old with Mobil 1. I calculated that's approx the same rate you change it at when you go 30K mi and then flush the whole system. My next such swap will be #3; with that done it will be approx 70% synthetic.

Now driving '97 Civic HX; tires ~ 50 psi. '89 Volvo 240 = semi-retired.
brucepick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Granted this would be expensive to test, but how about synthetic transmission fluid? Mobil 1. I'm changing over but have no comparison numbers, sorry.

For my car, at every 4K mi. oil change I drain the tranny pan once and replace the old with Mobil 1. I calculated that's approx the same rate you change it at when you go 30K mi and then flush the whole system. My next such swap will be #3; with that done it will be approx 70% synthetic.
i'm def with ya on the syn lubes. same with before and after #s 'cause i will NOT put dino oils in my cars.