New Wheels and Tires - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
Registered Member

New Wheels and Tires

Today, I bought four used 15-inch wheels from a 2004 Civic EX so I can mount them on the del Sol. I am running into a size issue, though.

To start off, the del Sol's speedometer is a little off. It is showing 69 mph when I'm going about 62 mph (according to my wife's speedometer). I think this is because I have a del Sol S (175/70R13 tires) and it probably shares the same speedometer calibration as the del Sol VTEC (195/60R14).

I was planning on upsizing my tires to a 195/50R15. I could not find any tires I liked. I then looked at tires sized 195/55R15, and only found one I like. I could move all the way up to 195/60R15 and get a set of Michelin Destiny tires, which I really like. However, this would be 2 sizes larger than the stock size. The Tire Rack calculator states that the 60-aspect ratio tire is 1.56 inches larger in diameter than the stock ones, although it is only one inch larger in diameter than the stock tires on the VTEC model. I am worried about the tires rubbing on the fender liners.

To complicate the matter, I am lowering the car as soon as I can get to it. I have Eibach Pro springs/shocks to go on it, which will lower the car between 1.2 and 1.4 inches (so the company materials say... these same springs/shocks lowered my VX by almost 2 inches).

Here is my plan: Lower the car, and then stick the 15-inch wheels on it with the 195/55R15 tires that came with the wheels (which are worn out and are probably have 1/2 inch less diameter than they did new) . Drive it hard and check for any rubs. If there are none, then I will buy 195/60R15 Michelin Destiny tires and hope for the best.

Does this seem like a valid plan?

IndyFetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:02 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: New Wheels and Tires

You need some tools to help you.

This is a tire calculator to help you sort out how much your speedometer will be affected.

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCal...?action=submit

This is Discount Tire's web site, and not only can they tell you what your vehicle originally took for tire size (which goes to the speedometer error), but there is also a place to look up alternative tire sizes that will fit.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/home.do

Word of warning: The alternative tire size fitment doesn't take into account the change in rim width that might be needed to accommodate the tire size listyed - so you need to check that to be sure you get that right.

How do you find your current rim width? It is stamped on the back of the wheel somewhere. It will take the form "16X6JJ" - although the letters might not be there. The 16" is the rim diameter, the 6 is the rim width, and the JJ is a code for the type of rim flange.

But if your vehicle has stock wheels, there are lists for that info. It is unfortunate that you didn't tell us what your vehicle is (year, make, and model) because I have one of those lists.

And lastly, lowering the car is obviously going change how much space is available within the fenderwell, so the Discount Tire Web site will be wrong - but it is at least a good guide as to what DOESN'T fit.

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
Registered Member

My del Sol is a '95. It is in the garage under "Master Yoda." I believe the new wheels are 15 x 7. The old ones are stock; I believe they are 13 x 4.5 or 13 x 5.

I used the Discount Tire size calculator when I was looking at new tires. That is how I came up with the diameter difference between the stock tires and the proposed ones.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
Registered Member

I had a delsol I built in the early 2000's Trust me dont go over a 50 series tire on the 15 inch rim it will be to tall even on stock suspension and your performance and gas mileage in the city will suffer greatly! I found a set of si wheel for my current ex civic with 185.60.15's I had them on for less then 2 days before they drove me nuts from the huge power loss pulling away from a light I felt like i had truck tires on it!

my delsol with 205 50 r15's

my old 2000 civic si with 195 50 15
silversol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:16 AM   #5
Registered Member

With the added width, the 195/55/15 should not be much, if any, taller than a 205/50/15. When I had a 1999 Si, I had 205/40/17 tires when I bought it. I cracked a wheel, and bought a new set of wheels that already had 215/40/17 tires on them. The inside of the wider tires rubbed on the fender liner. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

The stock 1999-2000 Si wheels were actually my first choice.