Questions about EOC and automatic transmissions - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-07-2007, 12:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

Questions about EOC and automatic transmissions

Hello,
I drive a 1996 Nissan Maxima, which has a 3 speed automatic transmission with overdrive. I have heard that you cannot tow a vehicle that has an automatic transmission without first removing the drive shaft (RWD) or front axles (FWD) because there are parts in the transmission spinning with no pump lubercating them with transmission fluid. The pump is not running without the engine running, but I would assume it takes a while for the transmission parts to drip dry of transmission fluid. My question is, would it be okay for me to practice engine off coasting for fairly short distances?

Again, My car is a 1996 Nissan Maxima
My transmission is a Jatco RE4F04A Automatic with overdrive and lockup torque converter.

txe5502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Registered Member

I asked that question on the eng-tips forum, got a reply stating how quickly the output shaft bearings/axle was spinning, responded with what you said, that the bearings wouldn't go bone dry instantly, and was banned, so meh? I wouldn't do it unless I had no problem dropping and rebuilding/replacing the trans.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
Registered Member

Welcome to GasSavers: The question you ask is a tricky one. The issue is that almost all automatic transmissions operate off of a pump which is driven from the front of the transmission and therefor the motor. Consequently when you are coasting in neutral, with the engine off, the pump is not turning and their is no oil pressure.

However, if you are in neutral, then the gears of the transmission are not engaged and their isn't any real loading on the transmission. I believe their may be some people on here who have tried doing EOC with an Automatic. I haven't heard of anyone destroying their transmissions, yet. However, I wouldn't be doing it. The gains from EOC are not great enough, at least for me, to risk mechanically wrecking the transmission.

On the other hand, if you wrecked it, then you could get a manual transmission installed, so you could EOC without killing the transmission.

Personally, I wouldn't.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #4
Registered Member

Okay, I have also considered installing a manual 5 speed, which was an option when this car was originally built, however, I have not yet successfully found any yet, nor have I even seen any 4th gen Maximas with a five speed, but supposedly they exist. Any suggestions on finding a manual trans?
Old 06-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
Registered Member

Check car-part.com.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
Registered Member

I ave been EOC'ing for quite a while with an auto. No transmission damage yet, but I wouldn't try towing the car for an extended distance.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thanks repete86, I was hoping to hear from someone else with an automatic transmission who has been EOCing. I always heard you could not tow, but I thought short distances were not a problem.
Old 06-08-2007, 03:24 AM   #8
Registered Member

It depends on the tranny. Look in the owners manual. If it can take any towing on the drive axels then your ok.

I fas/eoc our 05 Accord I4, 5AT when I drive it. I try to stay away from it since it has a worthless AT in it. Plus its the wifes car. So I know it has coodys.

psy
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 04:11 AM   #9
Supporting Member

i eoc from time to time but mostly just put it into N and coast and seen great gains from doing that. if i see a good chance i will take it but it is very short times like up to a long light.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:50 AM   #10
Registered Member

Eoc

I've been EOC'ing a '98 Integra for about 20-someK miles or about a year -- it so far has yielded the biggest increase in FE. It has about 130K on the original tranny -- and so far, so good...

RH77