Removing the crankshaft pully... ARGH! - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-16-2006, 09:31 PM   #11
Driving on E

Re: With the air tools did you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunger
I've gone as high as 150 psi before... dunno how good that is for the hammers, but I've had the same tools for 6 years now, and they are still working ok. =)

Are you lifting the entire motor or just a short block? The entire thing can be a bit much for a single person.

119 ft/lbs on the crank pulley bolt.
Well, it would be just hte block, head, and intake. No tranny or anything, but i agree that would be around 200+ lbs and even though I have 26 inch pythons I probably couldn't lift that thing.

Just curious on that 119ft/lbs... if I'm having this much of an issue getting the bolt off, how in the world am I supposed to properly tighten it?

Should I put the transmission on and maybe put it in gear?

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:19 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
I first bought a strap

I first bought a strap wrench for just this application. Wish I knew how to explain how to use it to you.

If you can't get that bolt out with 120psi, then you will have to heat it up, and then use the impact. You won't have to heat it very much, maybe touch the flame for 15 seconds. That will help break the oxidation that is welding that bolt to the pulley.

Old 04-17-2006, 07:28 AM   #13

Here's the ghetto way I did

Here's the ghetto way I did it once (and it worked) for an engine out of the car.

Go to home depot and buy a plane-jane 2x4 and some manilla rope thin enough to weave through the holes on the crank pulley (this works for the Civic pulleys with the holes, not the Acura pulleys with the big hex hole in the center).

Take the manilla rope (the stuff I got was 50 lb test) and begin weaving it through the holes on the pulley...I had to go around twice (double rope going through the holes). Finally, put the 2x4, skinny side of the board touching the pulley, on top of the pulley, with nearly all the length of the board hanging off one end. Wrap the rope like hell around the end of the board hanging on the pulley. You now have something to hold the pulley still with (about an 8 foot lever arm). Have someone hold that, someone hold the engine stand, and someone work a breaker bar with about 3 feet of pipe on it. I guarantee it will bust.

I'll try to dig up pictures of my setup when we did this.

Since that time, I have purchased one of these:

It has become incredibly invaluable. I can't remember what site I ordered it from, but I got it for $120 and it will handle both Civic style and Acura style crank pulleys. Just do a google search for SIR Tools HO70 and look for the best price.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:06 AM   #14
Driving on E

Some guy just recently told

Some guy just recently told me on honda-tech:

Quote:
remove a spark plug, insert about a foot of rope into the cylinder and turn the crank until the rope does not allow the crank to turn. then stick your breaker bar and socket . that should do the trick Ive done it many many times good luck
Seems a bit bizarre if you ask me.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:21 AM   #15
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
to take off mine i put the

to take off mine i put the car in 1st gear, disconnected the battery, and stomped on the brakes while my friend took his air tools to it. it popped right off. this was after i sprayed it every day for 3 days with pb blaster.

ive heard some people just took the starter off and wedged a screwdriver in the flywheels.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:17 PM   #16
Registered Member

Re: Some guy just recently told

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Some guy just recently told me on honda-tech:

Quote:
remove a spark plug, insert about a foot of rope into the cylinder and turn the crank until the rope does not allow the crank to turn. then stick your breaker bar and socket . that should do the trick Ive done it many many times good luck
Seems a bit bizarre if you ask me.
I've done this before, but I put rope down #1 and #4... I don't think you HAVE to, but it made me feel a little better evening out the load.

Ohh and DAX... you're a crazy mofo! I have never even thought of the 2x4 and rope idea, thats awesome! Thats for sure, ghetto fabulous!
Old 04-17-2006, 12:21 PM   #17
Driving on E

Quote:
Ohh and DAX... you're a crazy mofo! I have never even thought of the 2x4 and rope idea, thats awesome! Thats for sure, ghetto fabulous!
I will end up doing this if the 120psi won't work. If I do this however I'm going to need to resecure the engine to the pallete. The last thing I want is the engine to flip over because of all of the torque.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:30 PM   #18
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
rope

isn't a couple of valves open a little at tdc on one of the two cylinders? should be a compression stroke on one and an exhost ending intake starting stroke on the other.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:59 AM   #19

Quote:
My dad gave me the idea. He used to use the method to tighten up jacks on hydraulic elevators.

Matt - if you have someone holding the 2x4 against the floor and you're on the breaker bar, the engine shouldn't flip because of the balance of moments...especially if the engine is on the floor.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:12 AM   #20
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
Matt - if you have someone holding the 2x4 against the floor and you're on the breaker bar, the engine shouldn't flip because of the balance of moments...especially if the engine is on the floor.
I'm still gonna tie it down though... just for my sanity.

here's an odd tidbit though. The exhaust shroud is actually made of plastic. I thought they were always metal to help disperse heat. Japan is crazy!