Ride feels bumpy during braking - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > Transmissions and Running Gear
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2009, 01:53 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Question Ride feels bumpy during braking

This is in Bessie, my 2002 GMC Sierra 4x4 with 4 wheel disc brakes and 184,000 miles.

When braking, I get a minor bumpy feeling. I've never felt it before. I don't feel it in the brake pedal, I feel it in the seat. It's like I'm running over perfectly spaced bumps in the road, or like there's something stuck to my tire. It only happens while braking. A faint bump noise accompanies the feel.

It is not ABS engaging; I'm intimately familiar with my truck's ABS and that's not it. It does not feel like warped rotors; it's very well defined, on-off-on instead of fading in and out (hence "bumpy" not "lumpy").

I looked at my pads and rotors, they look good. There's no flat spots on the tires (and I'd expect that to feel the same whether braking or not).

Old 08-23-2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Registered Member

Maybe there's a stiff spot on a shock or strut, due to rust or something, bounce on it hard, see if it seems catchy. Would show up due to weight transfer.

I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I forgot to mention, it's matched to speed, as if it's happening once per revolution...but I'll still have to check the suspension as you said.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
Registered Member

Did you check the insides of the tires for bulges?
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
Old 08-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #5
Registered Member

No, and I forgot to check the inside brake pads too.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Site Team / Moderator

I would take a closer look at the rotors and shocks. How many miles do you have on the shocks?

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:17 PM   #7
Registered Member

Another thing, tie rod ends, Wile-Es had been a smidgin loose, had new ones in hand, felt it vibrating today, gotta get 'em in real soon now.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:35 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2TheRescue View Post
I would take a closer look at the rotors and shocks. How many miles do you have on the shocks?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:57 AM   #9
Site Team / Moderator

I'd replace the shocks first. They're way overdue anyway. Large vehicles usually ride nice, even with bad shocks - so you may not experience a bad ride. Even my Buick will give a cloud-like ride with bad shocks. Oh, and because they've been in there so long, go ahead and go to Sears and get the lifetime shocks + installation. I bought that on my Buick, at the time installation + lifetime warranty was only an extra $9/shock. Well worth it. I've gotten several sets of free shocks over the years, and if the nuts holding them are seized (which is likely if you have over 180,000 miles on them) its worth it to not have to climb under there.

-Jay

Jay2TheRescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:25 AM   #10
Registered Member

Actually, my ride is significantly stiffer than it used to be. I attributed that to general wear on all the suspension, and specifically to tired springs, but maybe it's shocks.

If that's the case I'll just continue to defer that bit of maintenance. The symptom doesn't bother me except that I fear it could be a sign of something that will become more expensive to fix if I ignore it.