Saturn SL1 been sitting a year. What to do? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

Saturn SL1 been sitting a year. What to do?

Alright I'm just fielding opinions on how to go about getting my SL1 on the road. I parked it in the garage about a year ago and planned on fogging the engine but never got around to it. I had just bought it at that time with 99k miles on it but didn't need it just yet.

This spring I'm thinking of selling my SL2 and driving the SL1.

I was thinking of doing this:

Pull plugs and fog engine now. (when fogging do you spray in the cylinders while cranking the engine to get lubricant on all areas of cylinder walls?) Add some MMO since IDK if this engine burns oil or not and it won't hurt to do a soak anyway. Put plugs back in cylinders and put a tag on the keychain reminding me to remove plugs and expell excess MMO later. When the time comes (a few months), pull plugs and PCM fuse and crank to remove some excess MMO on top of pistons, change the oil (use synthetic), install new plugs/wires, put PCM fuse back in place and start the car. Go get fresh gas (tank is on E anyway).

Sound like a solid plan?

'96 Chevy C1500 (5.0L 5sp)
'08 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom
'01 KTM Duke 2
Project84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Saturn SL1 been sitting a year. What to do?

No one? 12 views? I had this on saturnfans.com and got 35 views and no responses there either....

'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 01-18-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

I think it would be fine to start/drive it now without any prep. 1 year isn't all that long for an engine to sit- especially in a garage. It happens all the time with farm equipment (combines and grain trucks which are only used in the fall).

Putting oil in the cylinders and fresh gas would be the best possible practice- especially if you have plenty of free time.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Registered Member

yea thats about all id do too. put a little oil in each cyl then put a couple gallons of fresh gas in it and charge the battery then fire it up
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

It's possible that I let my Buick's engine sit for a year or more without starting it once...and it's fine internally (carburetor and exhaust are another whole issue).
Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #6
Registered Member

I agree that adding fresh gas, and maybe changing the oil is all you need to start up the engine.

It's the other parts I'd worry about. Check, but preferably lube, linkages and brakes. Make sure stuff moves and doesn't stick.
trollbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
Registered Member

I'm gonna go ahead and do the MMO soak anyway in the mean time, at 99k miles it's due for some ring cleaning I'm sure. I'll change the oil in a few months when I pull it out of the garage and begin driving it.
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 01-20-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollbait View Post
I agree that adding fresh gas, and maybe changing the oil is all you need to start up the engine.

It's the other parts I'd worry about. Check, but preferably lube, linkages and brakes. Make sure stuff moves and doesn't stick.
ooh yea make sure the brakes work before you go anywhere. (start car and let it idle for a while and press the brakes and make sure they feel normal.

they will have some rust buildup on them so the first few stops are gonna feel really weird (like no brakes/wet brakes) and make awful noises but it will go away after a few long hard stops.

cant hurt to lube the steering stuff as im sure you havent the last few oil changes.

like i said id leave the oil alone. that 6 month or 3k oil thing is a lie. Now if you let it sit 10 years yea id change it haha but i dont belive that would be your biggest problem (would be no brakes or exhaust at that point haha)
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:15 AM   #9
Registered Member

I bought the car and parked it immediately in the garage. IDK when it's last oil change was and the car is at 99k miles so I'm doing the 100k mile service before putting it on the road which I plan to include a list of parts in.

Plugs
wires
fuel filter
air filter
thermostat
transmission drain & refill
oil and filter
change brake fluid
lube chassis/steering
clean EGR & AIR system
coolant flush & refill

As for the brakes being rusty, that's a given. I'm prepared to change them if neccessary.

The biggest problem here is selling the SL2. The thing burns so much oil I'm scared to sell it to some idiot who lets it self destruct in a month then think I screwed them, but at the same time, the car is great on gas and the interior/exterior are in great shape so IDK how much to ask for it.
'01 KTM Duke 2
Old 01-21-2011, 04:28 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow

The SL2 means something to you but it's just going to be a 15 year old beater piece of crap to the buyer. As long as you're honest about it I don't think anyone's going to expect it to be a long-term car, and if they do they'll definitely remember to top up the oil.

Really I'd keep it. It's worth more to you than it is to anyone else. You won't get what you want for it.